(Pages 174-175 Farm Journal’s Best-Ever Recipes)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water (110 to 115 )
- 4 1/4 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 2 eggs
- 1 gal. Crisco oil
- Scald milk.
- Pour over sugar and salt in bowl.
- Cool to lukewarm (110 to 115 ).
- Sprinkle yeast over lukewarm water.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add yeast, 2 cups of flour, and nutmeg to milk mixture.
- Beat well.
- Stir in shortening, then eggs.
- Add remaining flour, kneading in last portion on lightly floured surface.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled.
- Turn out on floured board.
- Roll dough 1/3-inch thick; cut with doughnut cutter.
- Remove trimmings and form into ball. When doubled, roll out and cut.
- Let cut doughnuts rise until very light (30 to 40 minutes).
- Leave uncovered so crust will form.
- Pick up doughnuts with floured wide spatula and ease into deep hot oil (375 ).
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Makes 2 dozen.
Glaze for Doughnuts
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons boiling water
- Dip slightly cooled doughnuts into warm glaze.
- Cool on rack with waxed paper underneath.