recipe for 1 pie
- 9″ chocolate crust
- 2 2/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, separated – Use pasteurized egg whites from “Whites only” carton and egg yokes from regular egg carton
- 1 cup heavy cream
Pecans and maraschino cherries may be added
- Whip Cream in a bowl
- Melt chocolate over hot water in a double boiler.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Blend cream cheese in 2nd bowl, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat in cooled chocolate.
- Blend well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry in a 3rd bowl
- Gradually beat in 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into chilled crust, reserving 1/4 of mixture for decorating.
- Chill until filling sets slightly.
- Drop reserved mixture in mounds over top of pie.
- Chill overnight.
if adding pecans and maraschino cherries
- 3/4 to 1 cup each
- Cherries cut in half and paper towel dried
Makes 8 servings.