- Harvest berries the end of September or first week in October
- by using kitchen shears and snipping off just the bunches of berries
- 3 cups prepared juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin
- 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
- 4-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- Prepare jars by putting in dishwasher and rinsing with hot water.
- Prepare lids in dishwasher also so that they are hot and ready to seal.
Extract the juice from the berries
- 1. Place steamer/juicer on stove. (Make sure to assemble it correctly)
- 2. Fill top container with berries.
- 3. Steam for 30 minutes or more.
- 4. Pour off juice and through out steamed berries.
- 5. Repeat until you have processed as many berries as you need.
When you have juice
- 6. Measure exactly 3 cups prepared juice into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. (If necessary, add up to 1/2 cup water for exact measure.)
- 7. Stir in lemon juice.
- 8. Stir pectin into juice in saucepot.
- 9. Add butter to reduce foaming.
- 10. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn’t stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- 11. Stir in sugar.
- 12. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly.
- 13. Remove from heat.
Pour hot jelly into prepared jars
- 14. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- 15. Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops.
- 16. Wipe jar rims and threads.
- 17. Cover with two-piece lids.
- 18. Screw bands tightly.
- 19. Invert jars upside down on cloth on cupboard.
- 20. Allow jars to cool.
- 21. Check to see if jars are sealed.
About 3 pints per batch
2018-09-29 got enough juice for 3 batches at 3 cups each and had 6 cups for syrup. Yield 4.5 pints jelly and 3 quarts syrup.
- 22.if they don’t seal put them in the fridge or use the following process:
if the jars haven’t sealed
- 23. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner.
- a. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.)
- 24. Cover; bring water to gentle boil.
- 25. Process 5 min.
- 26. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely.
- 27. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger.
- a. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
- 1 cup juice to 1 1/2 sugar
- Bring to boil
- Hot pack into prepared bottles
- Invert on to lids until they start to cool
- Invert onto bottoms until cold
- check to see if they sealed