- Julia’s Preferences
- 1 cup [2 cubes] butter, softened
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup walnuts – chopped
- 1 package raw sugar for the tops
- Pan: parchment paper on cookie sheets
Time: 8 to 10 minutes
Cookie cutter 3″
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix oats, sugar, and ginger in a very large bowl.
- Stir in butter, molasses, eggs, hot water, dry ingredients, raisins and nuts.
- Work dough with hands until well mixed.
- Add more flour if needed.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut dough with 3″ glass.
- Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Brush with water and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Remove from cookie sheets.
- Cool on racks.
(adapted from Page 277 Farm Journal’s Best-Ever Recipes)
8 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
8 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 cups melted butter-flavored Crisco
2 cups dark molasses
1/4 cup hot water
3 cups raisins
2 cups walnuts – chopped
1 package raw sugar for the tops
Follow instructions above