Best-Every Lemon Meringue Pie
(Page 236 Farm Journal's Best-Ever Recipes)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup water
4 egg yolks - slightly beaten
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon peel - grated
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
Pan: 9" pie plate
Oven: 325' for Meringue
Time: 15 Minutes for Meringue
1. Combine sugar, 1 1/2 cups water and salt in saucepan
2. Heat to boiling.
3. Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make smooth paste;
4. Add to boiling mixture gradually stirring constantly;
5. Cook until thick and clear.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Combine egg yolks and lemon juice; stir into thickened mixture.
8. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles
9. Remove from heat.
10. Stir in butter and lemon peel.
11. Cover and cool until lukewarm.
12. Add salt to egg whites;
13. Beat until frothy.
14. Add gradually 1/2 cup sugar, beating until glossy peaks form.
15. Stir 2 or more rounded Tablespoons of meringue into lukewarm filling.
16. Pour filling into cool pie shell.
17. Pile remaining meringue on top and spread lightly over filling,
spreading evenly to edge of crust.
18. Bake in slow oven (325 ) about 15 minutes, or lightly browned.
19. Cool on rack at least 1 hour before cutting.