Oatmeal/Molasses Cookies - Woody's Favorite
(Page 277 Farm Journal's Best-Ever Recipes)
8 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
8 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 cups melted butter-flavored Crisco
2 cups dark molasses
1/4 cup hot water
3 cups raisins
2 cups walnuts - chopped
1 package raw sugar for the tops
Pan: cookie sheets - lightly greased
Time: 8 to 10 minutes
Cookie cutter: 32 oz. plastic cup with 3.5 to 4 inch top.
- Reserved 1/2 cup flour
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix oats, sugar, and ginger in a very large bowl.
- Stir in Crisco , molasses, eggs, hot water, dry ingredients, raisins and nuts.
- Work dough with hands until well mixed.
- Add the reserved flour if needed.
- Roll dough to 3/8 inch thickness.
- Cut dough with 32 oz. plastic cup with 3.5 to 4 inch top.
- Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Brush with water and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Remove from cookie sheets.
- Cool on racks.