Red Velvet Cake
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1 oz. bottles of red food coloring
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar
Pan: 2 9" Round cake pans - greased and floured
Time: 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cream coloring and cocoa.
- Add and cream butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Add salt, vanilla.
- Add and beat until smooth, alternately, flour and buttermilk.
- Mix soda and vinegar.
- Fold in, without beating.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
8 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Cook flour and milk, stirring constantly until very thick.
- Cool completely
- Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla until it is like whipped cream.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture
- Frost bottom layer making sure that it is covered with 1/2" on top and sides.
- Frost top layer making sure that it is covered with 1/2".