Sourdough Basic Starter
(page 15 Sourdough Cookery 1981)
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups lukewarm water (105 )
- Combine all ingredients.
- Beat with wooden spoon. (Fermentation will dissolve small lumps.)
- Place in warm, draft-free place (85 ).
- Let ferment 2 to 3 days.
- Stir mixture several times a day.
To Use Sourdough Basic Starter
- Remove starter needed for recipe.
- Refrigerate remaining starter in container with hole in lid.
- Replenish every 7 to 10 days by stirring in equal amounts of water and flour, then leave