George Albert Weight

Spouce: Hannah Leonora Childs

History of George Albert Weight

In the spring, on the 28th April 1868, I came to live with my parents, Fredrick, and Elizabeth Bocock Weight, in a small adobe room at 2nd North and 4th East, Springville, Utah, where we lived until I was four years old (1872), then moved onto the East Bench, Springville, where I have lived the remainder of my life, except for the summer work I have done in the canyons, working in timber.

When I was eight years old I worked for a little Smith and Weston rifle and killed bunny rabbits, ducks, coyotes, deer, and wild chickens in my spare time.

At the age of thirteen I went with my brothers Charles Law and Alfred Weight to Park City to haul cord wood to the mines with a yoke of oxen we called Duke and Dime. My older brother, Alfred drove a pair of mules, and my half brother, Charles, chopped the wood. The following year at the age of fourteen I hauled railroad ties out of Payson Canyon into Payson with a team of horses. The following eleven years I worked at White River (ages 15 -26), chopping and hauling little ties for the Rapid Transit Co. in Salt Lake City, Utah, and broad gauged ties for Denver and Rio Grand railroad, telephone poles for Salt Lake City, and mining props for the coal mines at Pleasant Valley and Schofield. Our receiver for props was Joseph Vane of Springville, Utah.

In 1851 (date is in error - George's father came to Springville in 1856. He married Nora in 1892 and they spent 45 years there upto 1938 according to Nora) I purchased my first and only home which I still own, and am living in now, (at the age of 83) (1950)

I met Hannah Leonora Childs here in the home, then owned by my brother Alfred, which home I later purchased. Nora had come to see her cousin Eunice Noakes Weight who had married my brother Alfred. I took her home that evening and continued courting her. Nora was the daughter of Moses Devere and Olive Hannah Huntington Childs. I married Hannah Leonora Childs on 14th Dec, 1892 in the Manti Temple.

The following two years I raised sugar beets, grain and alfalfa.

The following year I went to Willow Creek to get limber for William Kelsey's saw mill. While working there I contracted Typhoid Fever and going behind financially ended my work in the timber industry.

I then took up a ranch in Wanrodes Valley in 1904, and after home-steading, turned the rest of my life to farming and such things with team work that made for a living for a large family.

We had ten children, two babies that died, one being stillborn and the other one only lived a few days, making eight, four boys and four girls as follows:

  1. George Fredrick, born 11 Sep. 1893;
  2. Ella, born 27 Sep. 1897;
  3. Roy (still-born) born 31 Mar. 1899
  4. Leo Dean. born 2 Sep. 1900
  5. Iva, born 1 Nov 1903;
  6. DeVere, born 4 Dec. 1908 - died 8 Dec. 1908;
  7. Bessie, born 14 Dec. 1909
  8. Leslie Lamar born 5 Feb. 1912
  9. Berneice. born 28 Jan. 1914
  10. Woodrow, born 6 Dec. 1917

I was one of the early day members of the Martial Band of Springville. I played the piccolo and big bass Drums in parades and accompanied Hyrum Scovil at dancing with a 2nd Violin.

I helped build the roads that we had then, done mostly with pick and shovel.

Memories of George Albert Weight

(This part written by daughter Iva)

He enjoyed telling his experiences with the Indians, some of which were mighty adventurous. Seeing the times change from Indians to Airplanes he declares he has had many happy and interesting experiences in his life.

Father would entertain us kids in the evening after the work was done and supper over with, by letting us sit on his lap and comb his hair, and also he would play many tunes on a comb by using a piece of paper over it. We all thrilled at his harmonica playing and his ability of soft shoe dancing. He could do a very neat step right up until his late eighties.

He loved to mimic the valued friends and old timers of his generation, and we loved and laughed at the many interpretations and impersonations. Father, uncle Alf and uncle Ralph (his brothers) could entertain with singing and instrumental music.

Father taught his family many valuable lessons, one lesson was patience. He was a very patient loving father, He also taught us all to be honest in all our dealings, "If you say you will do a thing, do it" he would tell us.

In building the pole fence through the ranch with the help of LaMar, Woodrow, Fred, Leo and DeVere Weight, and others digging the post holes and cutting oak posts, and with the skill that father had into sighting and setting these posts was a real art as father could look down the fence line and keep it as straight as if he had used an instrument. Many are the enjoyable times we all spent at the ranch. Father was also an expert shot of what ever he was shooting at would stay put for just enough time to give him careful aim, it was all he needed. He seldom failed to hit.

Father and mother enjoyed going to the temple and also doing genealogy research at the library in Salt Lake genealogy library, in their later life.

After father sold the ranch to Leo and after mother passed away on the 6 Feb 1958, his life was very lonely.

The family held a memorable 90th birthday on the 28 Apr 1958, anniversary for him the year mother passed away. We held open house and he visited with friends and relatives. but after all had gone and he was talking with some of the family, he said over and over how missed mother. This was a tribute to her because he never failed to feel the loneliness for her during the many long days that followed in his life.

We held a family dinner on father's 95th birthday on the 28th Apr 1963, at LaMar and Esther's home. Previously we had arranged to take him to the Willard Rest Home in Provo, Utah. He now had begun (for several weeks) to lose control of his bowels. He was concerned about Ella and said, he would go to a rest home if it would help to get her in to one also. He knew of his weakening condition, yet he never complained. The 1st of May, 1963 we took father to the Willard Rest Home in Provo.

During the ensuing months we all visited every week both rest homes.

On the 15 June 1963, Fred brought both of them to the Weight reunion held at Kelly's Grove in Hobble Creek Canyon, East of Springville, Utah. It was a rainy day so they didn't stay very long.

On the 21st June 63, had a blackout of some kind (probably a light stroke?) and fell bruising his chin severely and causing his head to be dizzy and ache.

We could see that life would not remain with him for many more weeks. His chin healed the later part of July. Our visits were increased as we could see he was not going to last much longer.

On the 15th Aug 63, he was definitely worse.

When on the 14th Aug. when Woodrow & Lucille, Carrel and I visited him and ask how he was he said, "Pretty good!" Never a complaint. He was so much weaker that day, and tried so hard to talk to us-but only in a whisper. We hated to leave him, feeling it would be the last time we would see him.

The tragedy of LaMar and Esther's boy Leslie Owen, who was killed the 16 Aug 1963, had been hard to take. We were getting ready to go to the mortuary when Mr. Willard called Woodrow and said that father had just passed sway at 5:30 P.M. This was on the 19th Aug '63.

We felt to thank the Lord for his departure for his glad return to mother and his family who had gone before him.

It was a sad but humbling experience to lose loved ones.

We are most great full for our heritage, and pray we may so live to meet our loved ones again.

By Iva Weight Waters.

Daughter of George Albert Weight.

3rd April 1969

Copyright Shirl R. Weight 21 Dec 2008 09:56:54 PM

Copyright 1996 - 2019 Shirl R Weight Tuesday, 01 January 2019 08:33:23 AM