Zina Baker (Huntington)

Spouse: William Huntington

  • Born on May 2, 1786
  • Baptized
  • Married
  • Sealed
  • Died - She died in Nauvoo.


  • Date: May 2, 1786
  • Place: N. Grantham, Sullivan, NH, USA


  • Father: Baker, Oliver
  • Mother: Dimock, Dorcas


  • Date: July 8, 1839
  • Place: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA
  • Alternate Date: May 8, 1839
  • Alternate Place: Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USB

Marriage Information:

  • Spouse: Huntington, William
  • Date: December 28, 1806
  • Place: New Hampshire, USA


Name: Birthdate: Place:

  1. Huntington, Chauncy Dyer
  2. Huntington, Nancy
  3. Huntington, Dimick
  4. Huntington, Prescinda Lathrop
  5. Huntington, Adaline Elizabeth
  6. Huntington, William Dresser
  7. Huntington, Zina Diantha
  8. Huntington, Oliver Boardman
  9. Huntington, John Dickenson

Temple Ordinance Data:

  • Baptism Date: December 6, 1967
  • Endowment Date: March 30, 1877 Temple: St. George, Washington County, Utah
  • Sealed to Parents Date: February 26, 1969 Temple: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California

Places of Residence:

  • Kirtland, Geauga, OH, USA
  • Adam-ondi-Ahman, MO, USA

Patriarchal Blessing

(by) Joseph Smith Sr.

A Blessing by Joseph Smith, Patriarch, upon the head of Zina Huntington, born May 2, 1786, Chishine, Co. New Hampshire.

Sister, I lay my hands upon thy head and seal and confirm upon thee a father’s blessing, even the blessings of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, even the blessings of the earth and the fulness thereof; thy children shall be blest from generation to generation, even with the blessing of Heaven and Earth. Thou shalt hold on to thy children by the prayer of faith and they shall all embrace the gospel and have an inheritance in the land of Zion; thou shalt yet see good days, for the last day shall be the best, and the Lord shall make thee to rejoice greatly; thy name is written in the Lamb’s book of life; they memory shall increase, the strength shall not fail and thou shalt have long life, thine eyes shalt see the King, the Lord of Hosts; thou shalt be an instructor to thy . . . and a mother in Israel, I seal thee up to eternal life; all these blessings shall come upon thee if thou act faithful amen.

Recorder: Albert Carrington.

She died in Nauvoo.


(William Huntington)

  • Born: May 2, 1786
  • Place: Grantham, Sullivan, New Hampshire
  • Married: December 28, 1805 (1806)
  • Place: New Hampshire
  • Died: July 8, 1839
  • Place: Nauvoo, Ill.
  • Baptized: April 1835
  • Did not come to Utah. She died in Nauvoo July 8, 1839. She was 47 years old.


  • 1. John Dyer French 20 October 1806
  • 2. Hannah Burrage 20 October 1806
  • 3. Dimick Baker Huntington 26 May 1808 Watertown, Jefferson, New York
  • 4. Precinda Lathrop Huntington 10 September 1810 Watertown, Jefferson, New York
  • 5. Adaline Elizabeth Huntington 3 August 1815
  • 6. William Dresser Huntington 8 February 1818 Watertown, Jefferson New York
  • 7. Zina Diantha Hunington 1 January 1821 Watertown, Jefferson, New York
  • 8. Oliver Boardman Huntington* 14 October 1823 Watertown, Jefferson, New York
  • 9. John Dickenson Huntington 11 February 1827 Watertown, Jefferson, New York

(Patriarchal Blessing by Joseph Smith Sr.)

A Blessing by Joseph Smith, Patriarch, upon the head of Zina Huntington, born May 2, 1786, Cheshire, Co. New Hampshire. Sister, I lay my hands upon thy head and seal and confirm upon thee a father's blessing, even the blessings of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, even the blessings of the earth and the fulness thereof; thy children shall be blest from generation to generation, even with the blessing of Heaven and Earth. Thou shalt hold on to thy children by the prayer of faith and they shall all embrace the gospel and have an inheritance in the land of Zion; thou shalt yet see good days, for the last day shall be the best, and the Lord shall make three to rejoice greatly; thy name is written in the Lamb's book of life; thy memory shall increase, thy strength shall not fail and thou shalt have a long life, thine eyes shalt see the King the Lord of Hosts; thou shalt be an instructor to thy children and a mother in Israel, I seal thee up to eternal life; all these blessings shall come upon thee if thou act faithfully. Amen. Albert Carrington.

(Taken from History of Oliver Boardman Huntington Written by himself. Compilation of short sketches and journals, commenced December 10th 1845.)

My birthplace and residence until the year 1836 was in the town of Watertown, county of Jefferson and state of New York. My father's name was William and my mother's name was Zina. They came from New Hampshire and settled in Watertown where they raised a family of seven children who lived to be men and women grown, and lost three whilst in childhood.

My mother was a daughter of old Doctor Oliver Baker of New Hampshire. Grandfather Huntington's name was William and a nephew to Samuel Huntington that signed the Declaration of Independence. He served in both the revolutionary war and last war. He served through all the last war and three years in the revolution; and of that the last three; enlisting when he was only seventeen years old. My father also served through the last war as officer. (1812) In the year 1833 or 34 what was called Mormon Elders began to preach around our neighborhood, and by some means finally came to our house, and left a Book of Mormon which they read through two or three times and were very much taken up with the doctrine; there had not been much preaching about there, anywhere, but father and mother heard, having a very inquiring mind and being willing to obey truth, they soon were baptized by Elder Dutcher, and turned their whole attention to the work. I think this was in the fall of 1834 and the next spring, my sister Precendia, who had married a man by the name of Norman Buell; and Dimmick, moved to Kirtland in Ohio where the Church was then gathering. I disremember whether they joined the Church before or after they moved to Kirtland. They sailed in a schooner from Sackets Harbor to Fairport or Cleveland.

There was nothing to be had either for love or money, for Mormons, when they had anything to buy with. Many a time did my mother go without her meal of victuals to leave enough for the children, when there was nothing but beach leaves, after string beans and sometimes a very scanty allowance of corn bread, to leave. Once in a while when we were most starved out we would kill a starved to death hen we had wintered over on nothing, and eat as necessity called hardest. My poor old father who but six months ago was in affluent circumstances, and surrounded with everything to make him comfortable, and render life desirable; that a farm of upwards of 230 acres; a good stone house and two frame barns could afford, with close calculation; together with a still greater comfort, which was as good a companion as any man ever chose, who in the midst of affliction, was as an angelic comforter; I say from all these earthly comforts and conveniences, in six months he was brought to live by day's works, and that but very poorly, still my mother was the same mother and the same wife.

It was a torment to each, to see the other in want and still more see their children cry for bread and have none to give them nor know where the next was coming from, and after all their trials and sufferings not only there but elsewhere, never did I hear either of them utter a murmuring or complaining word against any of the authorities of the Church, or express a doubt of the truth of the work. They bore everything that came upon them as saints worthy of the reward laid up for those that do not murmur; and worthy are they, and from my mouth shall they ever be called blessed and worthy. John and I, though small, felt for them as much as our age would and could be expected; we often would kneel beside each other in the woods, and in the barn, daily, and pray to God to have mercy and bless father and mother, that they should not want nor see us want for bread. We used to pray three times a day as regularly as Daniel; and often more than three times.

In those days we were humble and prayed every chance we had and for everything we wanted; we were full of pious notions, but our piety began to be a little different from the old way; and I used to delight in religious conversation in and among the family; and we finally obtained the gift of tongues, all of us, and Zina the gift of interpretation, and we all became exceedingly happy even in the midst of our scarcities and deprivations. In the midst of our poverty in Kirtland none of us complained nor murmured against any of the authorities of the Church or against God; neither was the faith of any one lessened; but as to the work of God, all was joy and content and satisfaction. When I say this I say and tell the unbent truth before God. In ten years travel with the Church I never heard father or mother utter the first expression of doubt or show the least wavering of mind, or lack of unlimited confidence in the prophet.

Our route to Missouri was from Kirtland to Akron and then to Wooster, Columbus, the capitol of Ohio, Springfield and Dayton, Indianapolis, the capitol of Indiana and Terrahanti, Springfield the capitol of Illinois and Atlap, Lousiana and Ketesville in Missouri. Our pilgrimage to Farwest [Far West], was like the journey of the children of Israel in the wilderness; everything was uncertain but one, and it was but by the hand and power of God that we ever got to our place of destination. That journey, in that season of the year, with an ox team to travel a thousand miles, can be realized by none but they who have performed similar journeys under similar circumstances. Our whole journey was through a scene of new and before unexperienced and unthought of events. We were in company of seven wagons led by Oliver Snow, and whose cattle we had, and through whom God blessed us with means to get to the place of gathering

I think it was in August but it might have been in September that we moved to Adamon-di-ahman [Adam-ondi-ahman] in Davis County, where there was a stake commenced. There have been so many books written upon the Missouri persecutions that I shall confine my observations upon our own family, and self more particularly. We had heard and read so much about the sufferings of the brethren in the time of an excitement, that we had made up our minds for harder things than we found; not but we found things and times hard enough; for American citizens to bare. The fuss had fairly commenced, and under considerable headway when we moved, insomuch that father, mother, and Zina who went in the hind wagon, and who were until dark before they arrived there, were assailed just before they got to the Mormon inhabitants, by a band of armed and mounted men, who stopped them and in a very rough and barbarous manner, like real natives, demanded their businesses names and some other information; gave a good sound damning and then rode off into the woods, the most natural place for such animals.

I had often heard father and mother say they expected to be poor, for all were destined to become poor that came into the last covenant and Church of Christ; that was their belief, and they murmured not at their lot.

(Taken From: Autobiography of William Huntington, typescript, BYU. Grammar has been standardized. William Huntington, autobiography, typescript, BYU, Pg. 1)

I returned to my native land and was married to Zina Baker who was born May 2, 1786, in the town [?] of Plainfield County and state aforesaid [New Hampshire]. I was married December 28, 1806 [and] moved to Watertown, [Jefferson] County and state aforesaid [New York].

In 1833, I found the Book of Mormon. I read the book, believed in the book [and felt] that it was what it was represented to be. My mind thus being prepared to receive the gospel accordingly, in the month of April 1835, myself and my wife both united with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

In August 1836, I sold my farm for $3,500, which was one thousand less than value. In two months time, I disposed of my stock, produce, farming utensils, closed all my business and on the first of October 1836, I left my home [and] arrived at [p.3] Sackets Harbor [the] same day. The next day a severe storm took place which detained us in the harbor--until the 7th of October. We then went on board a steamer, sailed to Genesee River [and] went to Rochester [New York]. [We] took a canal boat to Buffalo [New York]. There we took another steamer for Fairport [Ohio], from thence by land to Kirtland, which place we arrived 11th of October 1836. We arrived in Kirtland at the time of great prosperity with the Church, as it was called.

While I remained in Kirtland, I endeavored to sustain the Presidency, the bank and all the ordinances of the Lord's house. In the fall of 1837, I received an appointment in the High Council. [I] served as a councilor until the Church was broken up in September 1837. Myself and wife returned to Watertown, [New York], to visit our friends together for the last time. [We] found them generally much opposed [to] the Gospel. [We] returned to Kirtland finally, [during] the breaking down of Kirtland.

We were eight weeks and three days on our journey to Far West. [We] arrived there the 18th of July 1838. During our journey, I drove an ox team and traveled on foot the whole distance, except when we forded streams of water. We were blessed with good health and no misfortune on our journey which was nearly one thousand miles.

On the 1st of October 1838, I removed my family to Adam-ondi-Ahman

After my arrival in Far West with my family, I was notified there was diligent inquiry and search for me to take me to Richmond. I accordingly left my family immediately and went to King Follett's [to] stay three days. [I] had not left my family but a few minutes, when three men arrived at the door, inquired for me under arms [and] searched the house for me. [I] was not found by them.

I continued in business in Far West until the thirteenth day of April 1839, when in council it was thought advisable for me to leave. Accordingly, on the thirteenth day of April 1839, I left Far West with my family. We had a prosperous journey. We crossed the Mississippi River into [p.9] the state of Illinois on the 25th of April 1839. [We] went four miles east of the city of Quincy to my son Dimick's [Dimick Huntington], who at that time was living with his family in a house belonging to Judge [Rufus] Cleveland.

I left Quincy at the same time Joseph and family left for Commerce. After our arrival in Nauvoo, my family were blessed with good health and prosperity until the 24th [p.10] of June 1839. My wife was taken sick with the chills and fever. She lived until the 8th of July [1839] and expired age 53. My daughter Zina was taken sick the 25th of June [1839], myself was taken sick on the 27th of June [1839] [and] Oliver was taken sick the 1st of July [1839]. John then, was the only one in the family, excepting William D. who then lived with Brother Joseph [Smith], who were able or who followed their mother to the grave [they were able to attend to her burial]. Thus on the 8th of July [1839], myself, Zina and Oliver [are] all confined to the bed, my companion taken from me and consigned to the grave in a strange land and in the depth of poverty. We continued in this situation until the 16th of July, 1839 when John was taken sick, thus the whole of my family living with me were now sick and confined to our beds.

Most all sick around us. In this situation I was placed and not one of us could cut a stick [p.11] or bring a pail of water from the river when our ague and fever was on us. My sons were kind. As soon as was convenient, our cabin which was 12 feet square, was made comfortable. Here I found in drawing contrast, I had passed from a state of affluence worth thousands, down to the lowest state of poverty; even to be in debt and nothing to pay my debts. My companion was gone, who had passed with me through all our trials and scenes of afflictions by water, by land, in war in Missouri, in moving to this place, in her sickness, to her death and never murmured, nor complained. We felt to bear all our afflictions for Christ's sake, looking forward for the recompense of reward as did Paul through the goodness of God.

(Taken from Zina Huntington Young, auto in Women of Mormondom (1877), Pg. 213)

On the 24th of June my dear mother was taken sick with a congestive chill. About three hours afterwards she called me to her bedside and said:

"Zina, my time has come to die. You will live many years; but O, how lonesome father will be. I am not afraid to die. All I dread is the mortal suffering. I shall come forth triumphant when the Savior comes with the just to meet the saints on the earth."

The next morning I was taken sick; and in a few days my father and brother Oliver were also prostrate. My youngest brother, John, twelve years of age, was the only one left that could give us a drink of water; but the prophet sent his adopted daughter to assist us in our affliction, and saw to our being taken care of, as well as circumstances would permit-for there were hundreds, lying in tents and wagons, who needed care as much as we. Once Joseph came himself and made us tea with his own hands, and comforted the sick and dying.

Early in the morning of the 8th of July, 1839, just before the sun had risen, the spirit of my blessed mother took its flight, without her moving a muscle, or even the quiver of the lip.

Only two of the family could follow the remains to their resting place. O, who can tell the anguish of the hearts of the survivors, who knew not whose turn it would be to follow next?

Thus died my martyred mother! The Prophet Joseph often said that the Saints who died in persecutions were as much martyrs of the Church as was the apostle David Paten, who was killed in the defense of the Saints, or those who were massacred at Haun's mill. And my beloved mother was one of the many bright martyrs of the Church in those dark and terrible days of persecution. . . .

(Taken from "An Enduring Legacy, Volume Four", p. 132, a biography of William Dresser Huntington)

As a family they were musically inclined; among their family they maintained an orchestra . . . Their home was a gathering place for the families in their neighborhood to meet, practice and enjoy music. . . His parents (William Huntington and Zina Baker) joined the Church in 1833. In 1836 they moved the family to Kirtland, Ohio, where they resided for two years. The family remained in Kirtland until May 1838, when they started for Missouri, arriving at Far West in July. Some time later they moved to Adam Ondi-Ahman where they stayed during the trying times that followed, experiencing the terrible persecutions of the Saints during that period.

They moved to Commerce, Illinois, later called Nauvoo, in 1839. Soon after the Huntington family moved to Nauvoo, they were all stricken with malaria, commonly known at that time as chills and fever. The mother, (Zina Baker) who had been weakened by the exposures and hardships experienced after the family left Kirtland, died July 8, 1839. William and his younger brother John were the only two of their family well enough to attend her funeral. The Prophet Joseph Smith told them they would all die if they did not leave the place where they were living, as the ground was low and marshy. He took them to his home temporarily until they recovered from their illness.

(Orson F. Whitney, History of Utah, Vol 4, p.577)

Her (Zina Huntington Young) early connection with the Relief Society has been noted. Apropos of this subject, it is noted that Mrs. Young came of a family famous for deeds of charity in different lands and ages. In England, toward the close of the eighteenth century, Lady Salina Huntington gave most of her vast fortune for the introduction of Christianity among the North American Indians and the founding and maintenance of schools in which the red man might be instructed in the arts of civilization. Zina Baker Huntington was "a voluntary Relief Society in herself:. At Kirtland it was her custom, without direction or prompting from any one, to take her daughter Zina in her buggy and hunt out the distressed and needy in and about that place. Whatever was found necessary beyond her own means to supply they would travel among the people, in and out of the Church, and secure. Thus early was "Little Zina" inducted into the sprit and mission of the Relief Society, although it then had not existence.

(Taken from Oliver Boardman Huntington's diary)

December 9th 1843, the whole family joined together took up and removed from the old to the new burying ground, my mother, Bishop Partridge, and Hariet Partridge. One item worth of notice, my mother was in a state of preservation, her body embalmed equal to a mummy, her size, form, and features were the same as when living, her flesh as hard seemingly as bone. An unheard of instance in any country, after being buried three years, and upward, without any preservation substance whatever, to remain entire, as when living.

Copyright 1996 - 2019 Shirl R Weight Saturday, 23 February 2019 10:05:15 PM