Mary Ann Holden (Cook)

Spouse: David Cook

See also: (Thanks to Norm McClellan for permission for this link)


  • Date: July 26, 1837
  • Place: Wayne, TN, USA


  • Father: Holden, Joshua
  • Mother: Talley, Mary


  • Date: March 8, 1906

Marriage Information:

  • Spouse: Cook, David
  • Date: December 15, 1852

Church Ordinance Data:

  • Baptism Date: 1845

Temple Ordinance Data:

  • Baptism Date: October 17, 1967 Temple: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
  • Endowment Date: February 15, 1877
  • Sealed to Spouse Date: February 15, 1877

Source Reference Red Text is in question or error!

Mary Ann Holden Cook

Mary Ann Holden was born 26 July 1837 in Carrolsville, Hardin, (Wayne Co.) Tennessee. Her mother was Mary Talley who was Irish, and her father was Joshua Holden, who was English. They resided in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1844 and according to family history, lived a few blocks from the Prophet Joseph Smith. Mary Ann, then about seven years old, was proud to say she had sat on the lap of the prophet.

She came to Utah with John T. Chase's Co., a pioneer of 1852.

Mary Ann was married at age fifteen to David Cook of Provo, Territory of Deseret, 15 Dec. 1852, in Provo, Utah.

They were the parents of ten children:

  1. David Cook Jr.
  2. Joshua Holden Cook
  3. Joseph Ridley Cook
  4. Barbara Ellen Cook
  5. Daniel Cook
  6. Anna Francetta Cook
  7. Mary Emily Cook
  8. Alzina Maria Cook
  9. Elsie Evangeline Cook
  10. Martha Jane Cook

Her first child, David Cook, was accidentally killed on his twenty-fourth birthday. He was wrestling with a friend and he broke his neck. They were living in Washington, Utah at this time.

They lived in Nephi, Utah from March 1854 until March 1867, according to the records of births of their children. Then Brigham Young called them to help settle the Muddy River in the Dixie country. After some delay they went to Dixie where they lived for several years. From there they went to Thurber, Wayne Co., Utah, being among the first to settle in that town.

Their little home was given to them by their son Joshua Holden Cook and they furnished it with their own hands. David made the beds, the table, the chairs, cupboards and churn, and a complete little cupboard for fancy ornaments and books. Mary Ann made many doilies and cushions. She also spun and carded to make their clothing and bedding.

She endured to the end with faith, crossing the plains - she took care of her brother Wiley Holden's children for a few years, two girls (twins), Catherine and Caroline and a boy named John and she gave birth to ten children.

Her husband became blind in 1881 so she was a shining light to him until her death, 8 March 1906, in Wayne Co., Utah. David Cook moved to Delta with his son Joshua Holden Cook and daughter-in-law, Betsy Maria Bybee Cook in 1909. He died in Delta, Millard Co., Utah, 21 Jan. 1911, and was buried there.

Mary Ann Holden, my grandmother, was so good to me and so kind to everyone and very free hearted. She wanted to fix some thing to eat for everyone that came in her home it seemed. She was quick with her work. I never remember of ever seeing her house messed up or any dirty dishes; everything was in order.

Grandmother had only one single girl when I remember her. The others were all married.

She had burdens placed upon her from the start but never complained. Her brother Willey's wife died and left three children, a pair of twins, Catherine and Caroline, and a boy named John. She gave them a mother's love and care, and kept them a few years.

Before father married my mother, he took mother to live with his folks as mother was an orphan, and he felt sorry for her. Grand mother treated her like one of her own and mother thought it was heaven, for both grandmother and grandfather cherished her, and they had a daughter her age which my mother went with. They also loved each other. At the age of 17 mother married Joshua, their son, and soon they moved by themselves.

Grandmother had a lot of trouble. She witnessed her oldest son being brought home with his neck broken and only lived a short time. This happened in a wrestling match in St. George where they were living.

Grandfather being blind and almost deaf made it a continual grief on her. All these things made her very humble and dependent on the Lord, therefore, she was spiritual minded to a great degree and the Holy Spirit brought the light and comfort to her many times and was always near to her.

She was of a nervous type, easily disturbed, but equally quick to get over it. She was thoughtful to everyone and so warm hearted. When we stop to think of it, she was only 44 and had given birth to ten children and made a home for others. She was a small woman with long black hair and dark blue eyes, but I only remember her with white gray hair. Yet, she was only 69 when she died.

She was a good, fast worker and corded wool and spun it to make clothing. She made fancy cushions and tidies and her little home was cozy, but the best of all was their loving companionship with each other.

I was about 13 when grandmother passed away. I remember they had always been so kind and thoughtful to each other.

She died March 1906 at Lyman, Utah, where she was buried.

Copyright 1996 - 2019 Shirl R Weight Saturday, 23 February 2019 10:05:15 PM