Daniel Cook

Spouse: Mary Maria Fuller (Cook)

  • Born 9 May 1798
  • Place: New Brunswick, Canada
  • Died 29 Oct 1868
  • Buried: Nephi, Juab, Utah
  • Baptized
  • Arrived in the Salt Lake Valley: Was in Utah by the 1868 death date.


(Mary Maria Fuller)

  • Born: 15 December 1798
  • Place: Kingsclear, York, New Brunswick, Canada
  • Married: Abt. 1820
  • Place: South Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada (Misspelled as South East Hope (Sir Easthope)) See link
  • Died: February 6, 1874
  • Place: Salina, Sevier County, Utah
  • Baptized: 3 November 1843
  • Entered the Salt Lake Valley: October 2, 1850. He was 52 years of age.

Pioneer Company 23-Justus Morse left Kanesville, Iowa June 20 with 41 people and 13 wagons, arrived October 2. No roster.

See also: http://home.earthlink.net/~norm.mcclellan/FamilyHistory/ (Thanks to Norm McClellan for permission for this link)

1. Eliza Ann Cook 18 March 1821 South Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada

2. Elizabeth Cook 18 March 1821 South Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada

3. Lydia Cook 17 April 1823 Oxford, Ontario, Canada

4. Mary Jane Cook 28 June 1824 South Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada

5. Daniel Cook Jr 14 July 1826 South Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada

6. David Cook* 16 March 1828 East Zorra, Oxford, Ontario, Canada

7. Stephen Cook 27 March 1830 Zorra, Oxford, Ontario, Canada

8. Catharine Ursula Cook 21 February 1832 Zorra, Ontario, Canada

9. James Nathaniel 15 May1834 East Zorra, Oxford, Ontario, Canada

10. Hannah Elizabeth Cook 18 Sep tember1838 South Easthope, Ontario, Canada

11. Isaac Cook 10 June 1841 West South Hope, Zorra, Huron, Upper Canada

(Heart Throbs of the West, Volume 11, p.387)

On September 3 she continues-"The scenery along the Platte is beautiful. A very long and high mountain chain extends southwest. We have been following it for two or three days and haven't come to the end of it yet. Daniel Cook saw a grizzly bear. We picked 36 quarts of Buffalo berries. They have one seed in them and taste like currants. They make excellent sauce for pies and are red in color.

(Treasures of Pioneer History, Volume 2, 1850)

Incident from the Luke William Gallup journal: "We left Nauvoo to come with this company of pioneers, Captain, Justus Morse: Clerk, Luke William Gallup; Chaplain, John Banks; Councillors, (p.138) David Webb, A.J. Stewart, Daniel Cook and others besides the women and children. The company arrived in the Salt Lake Valley at noon, October 2, 1850.

(Taken from "Notes on the Cook Pioneer Family, Daniel Cook and Mary Fuller, Utah Pioneers of 1850, their children and relatives as recorded by Luke William Gallup [excerpts from his diary]. Luke William Gallup married Lydia Cook daughter of Daniel Cook and Mary Fuller. They traveled to Utah together.)

April 11, 1850-We reached Mr. Daniel Cook's (Daniel Cook 1798-1874 son Daniel Cook and Lydia Churchill, husband of Mary Maria Fuller) about noon just in time to get our dinner and where Benj. Richmond and I talked of making our home for awhile before our arrival and he was well acquainted with the folks and spoke highly of them and also of the girls and how we could get plenty of work in this neighborhood. As for the girls he advised me to try and get one of them and proffered to speak a good word for me to the old folks. I told him it might not be best as I had never seen them. We passed the night with them and they all seemed to wish me to make my home with them judging from their words and appearances. Squally clouds and rain in the p.m..

April 12-I agreed to board and make my home with Mr. D. Cook except when away to work.

Sunday 14th-The snow fell 2 inches deep and was gone before night. Accompanied Mr. Isaac Fuller, (son of David and Elizabeth Fuller) and David Cook (Son of Daniel and Mary Fuller Cook) to Lindon (1 miles South East).

16th-Stormy p.m. and B.B. Richmond and I spent our time at Brother Cook's.

20th. Worked 4 3/4 days for Mr. Wilson this week. Received Father and Mother Cook's consent to have their daughter Lydia in marriage and her consent at the same time. Boyce and Richmond had both spoken well of me so far as they had known me in Macedonia.

April 26, 1850h -Cloudy, hauled 2 logs with the assistance of Father Cook's boys; one of which was to make wagon bows. Father Cook and folks concluded to go with me to Salt Lake Valley and they commenced to build a new wagon as they understood the business, having the tools and timber.

Tuesday 30th--Lydia Cook and I visited Esq. Cole of Lindon Missouri And got the knot tied that bound us for this life. Our courtship was short before marriage but I had been used very kindly by all the family and had found a good and true companion to comfort me in the days to come, and looked forward in the future with the full belief of enjoying many happy days.

May 1850

May 14th 1850-Yesterday Father Cook took his new wagon to Rock Creek get the iron work done.

28th-Father Cook in our absence had been to Nodaway River (a ten days trip) for flour and bacon. 546 pounds. Coarse flour cost $2 per hundred (red) 325 fine at $3.25 per c wt (hundred weight), and 130 lbs bacon at $3 per hundred.

29th-Was at Lindon awhile and engaged to go to the river landing and haul more goods. Father Cook sold a cow for $14.

June 185

3rd-Made father a present of $5 to get some articles for the long journey before us.

8th and 9th--was spent in fixing and loading up for the long journey before us and it was arranged that my team should start a few days in advance and stop at Bethlehem City till father's wagon comes up and James and Hannah to go with Lydia and me. Brother Daniel and his Uncle Isaac were preparing to leave soon after we got off and go back to U.C. (Upper Canada or Ontario) to wake up some of their relations and get them to follow us to the valleys of the mountains as soon as they can.

June 14, 1850 Father Cook and family arrived near sunset. He wished to know what was going on over to the ferry so we went. I bought a 5 gallon water keg of Brother Woodruff.

15th-Started with our teams and went to the ferry and found many cattle there to be ferried over before we could go. A heavy wind made hard crossing and so we turned and went back on the middle road through the timber and around to our starting place. Father Cook sold a heifer named Millie for $8 to Mr. Cunningham.

19th-The company where we were finally began to grow impatient to move West and so concluded to form a Company of our own. We held a meeting to arrange matters and accordingly elected our officers. The vote was unanimous for the following officers:

Justus Morse, Captain, John Banks, A.J. Steward for his councilors L. W. Gallup, clerk and John Banks for Chaplain.

Brother Woodruff was present and gave us some counsel-thought we should be able to reach the Valley in safety though we were running some risk and said he did not feel disposed to counsel or advise in the matter-he probably thought it would do no good if contrary to our wishes and if so he was about right. He requested a list of persons belonging to our company which we gave him as follows:

No. Wagons Name of Owners No Wagons Name of Owners

2 J. Morse 1 Daniel Cook

2 A.J. Steward 1 L. W. Gallup

1 John Banks 1 David Webb

1 Thomas Winter

Nine wagons and 41 person in all. Sixteen male members were capable of doing military duty. We had one horse, seventy two head of cattle. Six dogs and 4 doves-also our implements of war were 11 guns, 2 pistols and 3 swords.

21st--We met and held a council before starting to arrange matters and make our organization more perfect. It was voted that Brother John Banks should write an article of agreement for our Company to be governed by; whereupon he wrote the following-

"This certified that the undersigned mutually agreed to form into a company, to travel together to the City of the Great Salt Lake, pledging themselves to abide by such rules and regulations as should be adopted by a majority of votes of the whole company-such company being on all occasions consulted.

2nd-- that the Captain shall be fully empowered to give such instructions as he may deem requisite, and to command and direct the movements of the company from day to day without control, save that he be assisted by two councilors whom he may consult as circumstances require.--

3rd-- that this company shall not consist of more than 15 wagons except by the unanimous approbation of the owners of such wagons.

4th--Any person or persons forming a portion of this company wilfully breaking any rule which may now or hereafter be adopted, resisting the authority and refusing to obey the command of the Captain shall no longer be permitted to carelle or partake of the privileges arising from this organization." This article was signed by -Justes Morse, John Banks, A.J. Stewart, Daniel Cook, David Cook, David H. Neal, David Webb, Luke Wm. Gallup, Thomas Winter Jr. Ja. W. Neal, Rey Ambroise, Sam'l Huffman, and John C. Neal

Our former precedings were again sanctioned unanimously in relation to company officers. Some others were expecting to sign the above document but neglected to do it for some cause. Names of them were-Nathan Orton, James Carrian, Wm. H. McGary, J.H. Gilpatrick, John Orton, Harvey Morse, Wiley Morse, Geo. Staples. Wm. Hooley, Joyn Neal, James Neal Jr. and Thomas Winter Jr.

And for convenience we divided the company into 3 divisions, under Morse, Banks and Stewart. Each division taking its turn every third night on guard. Other rules were adopted but never written.

We got started off at 8 a.m. At noon we got to a creek where we had to help each other up the bank. Here we saw 5 new graves and one cell dug all ready for someone. A mile farther on found another bad crossing place and at both places we worked with spades and axes to mend the road. A stray calf was found and drove along. Country broken and hilly. Scarcity of timber camped at 6 p.m. We traveled 13 miles-29 in all, for the two days.

Saturday 22nd--Another stray calf was drove into camp this morning to be taken along. We rolled on till noon and then laid by on account of a rainy p.m. After the thunder shower it was some cooler. We had a fine ridge road and some good scenery and an excellent camp ground. A government train of 27 wagons camped near by just before dark. We were again near the Weeping Water-a small amount of timber lined the banks and gooseberries were found. We traveled 8 miles today-total 37.

Sunday 23rd-A rainy morn prevented an early start and was late before we crossed the creek-then 2 hours longer it rained, followed by cloudy day with a fair breeze of wind. Selected a camp ground by the road side one mile from Salt Creek. An ox that died lately was not far off. Just after dark a man (a stranger) passed the camp on whom a suspicion of evil design rested. On asking him where he was going, said. He was bound for Salt Lake. He had a bundle of clothes on his back, Mr. A.J. Stewart thought he resembled a certain horse thief who resided part of his time among the Indians. It was then moonlight and some of our company wanted to have him arrested and put under guard for the night but nothing was done. We traveled 12 miles today-total 49.

24th-Just at daybreak our camp was a little bit alarmed by two of our company's horses running up to the wagons somewhat frightened with their lariats cut-they had been staked out to feed but a short distance off. One horse was stolen out of the three that were together. This stealing happened on the watch of the tour of Wm. Holly and Go. Staples. Crossed the Salt Creek at 9. A.M. showery, p.m. fair-muddy road. Scenes of the prairie drew my attention-I gazed much upon the distant view round the horizon and admired the views. Camped in open prairie. We traveled 9 miles today--Total 58

25th-Up and down hill road for 10 miles and our teams suffered for want of water. P.M.--took in some wood and water near an old camp ground, saw 7 graves there, and heard some talk of cholera. Thunder shower at 7 o'clock in the evening. Followed by a rainy night. Camped in open prairie. We traveled 14 miles today--total 72.

26th-- AM. showery and bad going. Light groves at a distance on both sides of us. P.M.. fair and fine scenery in all directions. A lone wagon with horses overtook and camped with us bound for Salt Lake. Traveled 15 miles today--total 87.

27th-- The lone team of 3 men (one's name was Beech) started and we saw them no more. At noon we saw the first antelope. At 3 p.m. met 3 wagons from the Valley-a level and a good road-scarcity of water-the landscape view was broad and extensive. Camped 2 miles from Platte bottom-found some strawberries. Traveled 20 miles today--total 107.

28th --Thunder shower about daylight, and the wind blew down one of our tents. At 11 a.m.. passed Wall's company. They were washing and airing their things, and sickness was in their midst-some had already died, 10 since they started, had lost some of our Macedonia folks were there. Brother Spafford's family had lost most of any. They called on us for medicine and we let them have some and then went on-suffered some for want of water and the great heat. Learned that Brother Foot's Company was ahead. Tedious going the last mile on account of late rains. 6 p.m. reached our camp ground not far from the river, and by a stream whose clear and sandy bottom invited some of us to go in and bathe, which was an excellent treat. We traveled 13 miles today--total 120 miles.

29th --Last night was stormy with sharp and vivid lightening and every tent was blown down for the wind was heavy. Today our company did some washing and gave the cattle a rest. P.M.. Wall's Company passed on by us. Our company thus far have enjoyed good health-only slight sickness and nothing serious. Brother Banks and some of father's folks have been slightly unwell but are getting better. Had some good singing in the eve. By Brother Banks and Webb. Appearance of fair weather yet had another blow out before the next morn with light rain. Began our mile count 6 miles west of the Missouri River. So we must be now 126 miles on the route.

30th-Cloudy morn and very light rain. The Valley Mail passed, on their way east and Robert Campbell came to see us mile off the road with a letter from B.F. Stewart to his brother in our Company. The Mail Company had 2 wagons and the following person going on a mission to England and all well-Isaac. Height, Wm Burton, John O Angus, A.M. Harmon., C.V. Spencer, J. M. Works, J. W. Crosby and Robert Campbell-Also Thomas Grover and family bound for the States and said to be sick.

Some dissatisfaction appeared in our company in the p.m. The majority manifested a disposition to move on, but the Captain and a few others were for staying awhile longer. Held a council towards eve and divided the men in three divisions equally making 8 in each. The 1st Division herd the cattle and stand guard the first 24 hours, and then the other divisions in their turn-The Captain still controlling the company as before.

First Division of 3 wagons had the following men: J. Morse, H. Morse, R. Morse, A Ray, Wm H McGary, N. Orton, J. Orton and J. Carrigan.

Second Division, 6 wagons and the following men: John Banks, G. Staples. T. Winter, D. Webb, Ja Neal, D.H. Neal, J. Neah Jr. and John Neal.

Third Division, 4 wagons and the following men. A.J. Stewart, S. Hoffman, L. W. Gallup, T Winter Jr., Daniel Cook, D. Cook, J.H. Gilpatrick. And Wm. Holly.

July 1850

Monday 1st-- A.M--Cool and cloudy and one light shower. Had many miry slews to cross and Brother Bebb's wagon tongue was broke in getting out of one-only got 14 miles-- total 140.

Monday 2nd-The road got better in the p.m. becoming dryer. At 10 a.m. we got along side the river and continued near it the remainder of the day. The Platte bottom from bluff to bluff appears now about 20 miles wide. Saw many small islands in the river. Some beautiful landscape scenes. Had some mosquitoes at our evening camp ground for our amusement. This evening Brother Banks went to the Captain and tendered his resignation and should not take charge of his division any longer as things didn't suit him. We traveled 20 miles today--total 160.

July 3rd-A calf was lost this morn. Short pitches and sloughs made bad going in places. Warm and small clouds gathered overhead at noon and thunder for a while but no rain where we were. Plenty of wood on the Platte islands and opposite bank. Romantic scenery along the river and beautiful views for the landscape painter. Our camp ground we thought would some day make a fine site for a city. We traveled 20 miles today -total 180.

Thursday 4th of July--Our road was an up and down one today-firewood scarce but plenty on the islands out of reach. Cattle suffered some from excessive heat. Plenty of mosquitos visited us in the evening and night and were quite free and made us feel not quite independent. Four young men in search of lost cattle slept in our camp. We traveled 20 miles today -200 miles total.

5th-- Got a late start on account of lame cattle. The Neal's received $2 for the use of 2 horses to hunt lost cattle by another company. Road tolerable good yet we got over only 12 miles --total 212.

6th-Moved slow and steady. A spirit of dissatisfaction is on the increase in our company and if no better order there may be a break up. Our horse team went ahead and camped with a small company of 8 wagons 3 miles in advance. Road level and good. This eve began to use buffalo chips for the first time. We traveled 15 miles today--total 227

Sunday 7th-- The bottom land is now very wide and extensive. Eight miles and halted for noon a short distance opposite New Ft. Kearney. Copy of a letter from the Fort. directed to Cousin E. H. Williams.

"We are on our way to Salt Lake and having a few spare moment at this station I hasten to give you a short sketch. We have a company of 13 wagon, 25 men and 35 women and children. We have 10 horses 110 head of cattle. Left Missouri River June 17th. Mormon emigration commenced to roll out the first of last month. Most of the Californians started in April and May some of whom had to return through they had good feed for their teams, we have been told. Crowds of wagons were around Bethlehem on the Missouri this season waiting to get over, and have waited, some of them a week before their turn to cross. 50 wagons make a regular company and Captain are chosen for tens, fifties, and hundreds to see and care for them that all goes right.

"We traveled over 100 miles before reaching Platte bottom which so far as I have seen was from 15 to 25 miles wide. The first 50 miles had a narrow strip of timber along its banks and sometimes only a narrow row, and a few broken places of none at all. And many a fine landscape view we could see. The Platte in appearance seems twice the size of Upper Mississippi yet may be inferior-is muddy like the Missouri with a sandy shallow water. Has many islands covered with shrubs and bushes. The second 50 by the river saw more woodland chiefly on large islands and good locations for Nine Section Farms on the south side. Then followed a few questions about the folks.-Long life to you and merry one with peace and contentment when you seek for it in the right way. Very Truly Your Friend, Luke Wm. Gallup"

Very little order prevailed in our camp, yet followed on 5 miles farther and after some trouble about it, we camped not far from the river. This evening Captain J. Morse resigned his command of the company and called on Stewart to take charge who also resigned his office and so the company was disbanded. We traveled 13 miles today--240 miles total.

Monday 8th-Our company has broke up at last after a considerable amount of disagreement, and this morning J. Morse and his 2 wagons drove on and left us. At noon Captain Roundy's Company of 26 wagons went by and was followed by Orton and Carrigan who had one wagon. These 2 men were always finding fault and so were glad to get rid of them. Captain Morse had the habit of swearing some and did not seem to have sufficient control over the company. Brother Banks and Web had each a lame animal and the latter had only two large black oxen. At 2 p.m. the 3 California wagons rolled on being unwilling to assist the weak teams. They had got tired of stopping and our persuasions to help the weak was of no avail. Winters followed them without a word said; he was another dissatisfied person-complained of having more than others to do and on the contrary side, from the men to the captain. Stewart's teams also left with the Californians as they all had a herd of cattle that ran together. He promised to use his endeavors to get the others to wait for us, so we could overtake them a few miles ahead; but we never overtook them. McGary and Hoffman quit the company and hired out to drive teams fora government train and now only 4 wagons remain. Stormy night.

9th--J. Gilpatrick called to see us on his way back to the Fort. Reported Stewart and other ten miles ahead. He returned and stayed all night with us, and went on the next morning after the company. Webb found a speculator (who farms it here on a large scale to supply the Fort) to whom he traded his big black ox (lame) for a good sized black cow. Warm night-a host of mosquitoes tormented us and got so bad that about 1 o'clock in the night we had to loose our cattle from our wagons, to give them some chance for their lives.

10th-- Started on with our 4 wagons at 6 a.m.. and drove 25 miles--255 total.

11th-- A thunder shower at1 a.m. followed by an increase of mosquitoes to fight in the night, and suffered considerable from their depredations. We traveled 17 miles today--total 272 .

12th-- Foggy and very warm morn. Had 2 hours nooning. At 4 p.m. overtook 3 heavy loaded Government wagons going to Ft. Laramie in charge of Mr. Wm. Tuttle. They were resting when we came along and had been all day for they traveled all last night. We joined companies and went on together and at sunset camped in the open prairie away from the river-Passed by a lame ox today whose chance was good to die and furnish feed for the wolves. Distant thunder showers today-a comfortable night breeze kept off the mosquitoes. Traveled 16 miles today--288 total.

13th--Started at 7 a.m. an hour after found a scrap of writing by Gilpatrick saying there were in Roundy's Company and desired us to hurry on and overtake them, telling us we could soon do it-that they had good health and were but a day ahead. But few mosquitoes at night. We traveled 16 miles today-total 304.

Sunday 14th-Thunder shower at 2 a.m. David Cook hired out to drive team for Mr. Wm Tuttle at $20, pr. Month. At noon found some wood and took in a supply but found plenty of wood and water at our evening camp ground. East wind after a cloudy day. Had a cattle hunt after dark a little extra. Traveled 15 miles today--319 total.

15th -At 6 a.m. a team with 4 mules passed by us in a great hurry going east. We held on and had a washing day. At 3 p.m. the mail for Salt Lake passed going west. Brother O. Hyde and others were aboard. Purchased of them a No. of the Frontier Guardian. Some of our party went out to the bluffs on a hunt and one of them shot at a buffalo but it did no good. Cloudy and light sprinkling; clear sunset.

16th-- Quit our encampment at 10 a.m. and shortly after met a government train of 6 horsemen and 4 teams with mules. Some scattering trees along the road At 2 p.m.. we met a man from Foot's Co. in search of a lost animal. Said their company was 15 miles ahead attending the sick and hunting buffalo. We traveled 14 miles -- total 333

17th-We saw our first buffalo which came quite near the wagons-many buffalo paths and grass very short. Soft limestone to be seen on the points of the low bluffs. Was hindered part of the p.m. by one of our men shooting a buffalo. It was 2 miles behind our train so a yoke of cattle were sent back to haul it into camp but when they got to the place it was not to be found. We traveled 11 miles--total 344

18th-By neglect of our herdsman this morn the cattle strayed over 2 miles and out of sight and had to hunt for them quite awhile. Shortly after a buffalo was shot (this time for certain) detaining us a while longer. Just before noon we saw swarms of buffalo-not less than 3,000. At noon another buffalo was shot and its meat being better the other was thrown away. It got unequally divided for some acted hoggish and took all the best parts and so the balance of the company would not take the remnant and some went off hunting again.

At 5 p.m. we saw the greatest sight of all. Being on a rise of ground we saw about 8000 at one view. We saw about 15,000 in all this day. In the p.m. our course was toward the river and found a good spring to camp by. An Oregon Company of 3 wagons and plenty of horses and mules camped with us half an hour after stopping. We traveled 11 miles today--Total 355 miles.

19th-It was sad to be a hoggish game some folks helping themselves to all the best buffalo meat but the most of it spoilt on their hands and they had to throw it away soon after, the weather was so warm for it would not keep over 2 or 3 days. A drive of three miles brought us along side the river and then we passed among the bluffs and had a slightly hilly road for 5 miles-after which it was level as usual. Today the bottom land appeared only 3 or 4 miles wide. Saw some buffalo this a..m. and last night at the springs they kept up a terrible bellowing all night. Father Cook found a lame ox and drove it along but the 2nd night being outside the coral it strayed off and we saw it no more. We traveled 15 miles today--Total 370 miles

20th-At 10 A.M. we met 5 teams from Laramie. Met 2 wagons at noon supposed to be Californians returning. A shower at dark. We traveled 18 miles today--388 total.

21st-The camp ground of the Oregon Company was 1 mile ahead of ours and we got started first and so overtook them but they soon left us behind. P.M. passed a government train camped half mile off the road. They had 4 wagons, and upwards 100 head of cattle near the river. The bluffs today have a very gradual slope down to the river bottom which is quite narrow. Some mosquitoes to trouble us. We traveled 15 miles today--total 403

Monday 22nd-Reached the Platte ford at noon. Six horse teams overtook us at the ford part of whom had left Brother Woodruff's Company at Kearney with 30 wagons. They reported an accident in his company by lightening-one man and several cattle were killed. The river here is half a mile wide and the ford 3/4 mile. Some of us had a tedious time of it wading near all the p.m. having to go back and forth several times to assist each other with extra cattle. Some few things in our wagons got slightly wet, and near sunset we were all safe over and camped on the north side of the South Platte. Traveled 8 miles today-- total 411.

23rd-A train in charge of Mr. Dorothy of 6 wagons from Ft. Laramie passed-buffalo robes was a part of the loading. We let our cattle rest and feed till 6 P.M. and then traveled all night. The mail from Kearney to Laramie by two horseman and a pack mule accompanied us as far as Ash Hollow.

24th-Had a good road 'till near daylight and then rather dangerous going down the bluffs. Father Cook and Banks were called on and went and assisted a lone wagon up the hill, off on another road when they had stayed a whole day-were going east. Reach North Platte sun a half an hour high when we got a sight of Foot's company one mile up the river, which had just started off their camp ground. Turned our cattle off to feed and rest for the day and one of our boys shot a wolf. The south bluff is steep and higher here than the one on South Platte with scattering juniper along its sides. Day of arrival of the Pioneers in Salt Lake. Traveled 20 miles today-- Total 431 .

25th-Today road bad going through much sand-very warm, Better grass than usual at nooning place. A few antelope were seen. Camped half a mile off the river-mosquitoes quite bad. We traveled 11 miles today--442 miles.

26th-More sand and hard hauling-good grass. River seems to widen and bluffs to diminish in size and less rocks to be seen. Camped on the river bank and found mosquitoes as bad as ever. Traveled 10 miles today-Total 452 miles.

27th-Road some better. At 3 P.M. we met 3 wagons from Laramie. Cloudy cool and windy-shower at noon and some rain in the night. Camp ground on an eminence near the river. Traveled 13 miles today--total 465 miles.

July 28th-A 4 mule team passed us going west. The carriage contained 4 men and one was a merchant named Kinkead. Found a clear stream at noon and filled our water kegs as we generally have to use muddy river water. 2 o'clock p.m. we met an express of 3 horsemen from Laramie in search of deserters who had fled for California or the States. Camp place was half a mile off the river on a bench 40 to 50 ft high which gave us a fair view of surrounding scenery. Had a fine spring of water for our convenience. Cloudy a.m. fair p.m. Some good singing we had in the evening to cheer our hearts. We traveled 14 miles today-- 479 total.

August 1850

Thursday 1st.-- We moved on and left the river-several dead cattle were seen. Bluffs on both sides of us began to resemble monuments. The range on our right put me in mind of a picture representation of a Mexican walled city, full of old castles and towers. One peak resembled a grain tack in one direction.

At 2 p.m. Aug. 1st-- we reached a pass on these mountain bluffs and found water, but none for 13 miles back. Here we found a set of trading establishments where things sold very high. Saw some old iron and other remains of a blacksmith shop also the first Indians since leaving Missouri River. Rested 2 hours and then resumed our journey. On descending over the pass we saw an Indian camp 1 mile off the road. Camped by a spring at dusk; feed scarce and road very dry. A couple of traders from Laramie got supper with us and paid well for it. Shortly after two men from the States for California got a day and half's provisions from us. We traveled 18 miles today--539 total.

Friday 2nd.-- At 10 a.m. we met 12 wagons and about 300 head of loose cattle. 2 p.m. we camped by Horse Creek and let our cattle rest the balance of the day. The Small Pox. Sunset Brother Banks arrived -his lame ox had got better had traveled all one night and laid by as much in the day time. Traveled 8 miles today--total 547 miles.

3rd-This morn the mail for Laramie passed. Platte river is now bordered by a growth of small trees. Found two lame animals but were unable to drive either. Warm day and hard hauling in places of sand. One of my oxen began to grow lame and so turned him among the loose cattle also let Brother Webb have a cow to use and got a yoke of cows of Father Cook. This plan we followed only to Laramie. Camped near a good stream of water. Two Indians on horseback visited us. Some mosquitoes. Traveled 12 miles today--551 miles total.

4th-A company of old and young Indians visited us and we gave them some victuals. The express from Kearney to Laramie-two horsemen passed us, and two other horsemen in the p.m. Some Indians sick with Small Pox; it was said were left in a house at Ashpoint. At 1 o'clock p.m. a wagon passed at a very rapid rate drawn by mules. Some Indians in the p.m. came and traded a few trinkets. Weather warm-Road good and romantic scenery. We traveled 14 miles today-- 565 total

5th--Mr. Tuttle paid D. Cook $15 for driving team. Came in sight of the blue hills 2 miles east of Laramie River we passed a French trading establishment for the Sioux Indians. 7 miles brought us to the mouth of Laramie River 1 mile below the fort. The water much clearer than the Platt and caught some fish after camping there 7 miles total 572.

6th-- Crossed the river Laramie and journeyed 1/4 mile this day. The country about Laramie seems better than usual and yet seems barren and to produce little of any kind of vegetation. Pine and Juniper in places on the hillsides and the rivers are bordered by a young growth of cottonwood. Laramie is yet small but on the increase. Provisions very high. Flour $18 per hundred, Bacon $18, sugar and coffee 50 cents per pound-other things in proportion. Iron is worth almost nothing, yet blacksmith work is very high. Shoes for a yoke of oxen will cost $8, nails 75 cent per dozen or over $13 a yoke besides the labor of setting them on. Wagons and guns are of little account here. Tuttle having unloaded camped with us for the last time. Webb thinks he will have to stay here all winter for want of a team. We all concluded to stay several days, set our wagon tire and get some of the cattle shod. At noon some freighters arrived for Laramie-28 wagons belonging to Waldo and McCoy.

7th-Tuttle and company started back for Kearney. His hired man John would not do as he was told and so got turned off and so the poor fellow had to return with Mr. Tuttle and settle with Boothe of Kearney. Tuttle liked his two other men, William and his son Lyman, and they had coaxed and laid a plan and got away Banks' boy. George Staples, who had frequently been scolded at considerable. He slipped off so sly that Banks and his wife did not miss him till he had been gone a few hours. We found the two Ortons at Laramie and they had one yoke of cattle; they had been turned off by Carrigan who could not agree with them. We started at 11 a.m. And drove 3 miles and camped where the grass was better. Found the lone wagon that kept our company about a week ago for two days-the 5 men divided, and Simon P. Girty and his two brothers went on. We traveled 3 miles today--Total 575.

9th-Father Cook caught a mess of fish-7 wagons camped with us.

10th--A.M. 24 wagons passed being a part of Captain Snow's Company under Leonard and Pierson. Hooping wheels and setting tires going on. Three large catfish were caught out of the Platte. Brother Grant's Company of 20 wagons arrived and camped 1 3/4 mile below.

11th-It threatened us a shower yesterday and today but we only got a sprinkling and gust of wind. We put 2 letters in the Laramie Post Office one going to my father in Connecticut. Here is the most of it-"After leaving Missouri. River we journeyed over 300 miles before we saw any buffalo-then not less than 8000 at one view and over 20,000 during the day-vast herds of them feeding together and for several days a scarcity of grass for our cattle. Sometimes lame ones have to be left behind for the wolves to devour. It was over 500 miles before we saw any Indians and then we saw hundreds of the Sioux, many of them on horses and mules and a strange set of beings they were. The ford on South Platte was half a mile wide very shallow and swift and not over 4 feet deep. Laramie ford was 10 rods wide and 2 feet deep. We have got to Laramie 575 miles and many are the long and desolate plains behind us -the black hills of the mountains are before us in sight and Laramie Peak can be seen 60 miles off. We are waiting to recruit our cattle and get the lame ones shod. The government blacksmith only wants per yoke $8 for shoes and 75 cents per dozen for nails. This will make $12 to $14 and we put them on. Laramie is quite a thriving village and is more for the benefit of a few Big Bugs. They should assist the emigrant and I suppose they do when they are well paid. Sugar and coffee sells at 50 cents per pound, candles $1 per pound. Flour $18 per hundred or $30 per barrel, pork etc. and other things in proportion; except wagons, guns, and a few other things left by the emigrant. Iron is very abundant and tons of it is strewn along the road left by Californians who destroyed many of their wagons and burnt the wood and threw the iron in the river while it was high water. The river has fallen and give us a view of the iron strewn along the bank. Was clerk of the company and kept a journal and have given you a few items of it. Our teams are not very strong but we are in no way disheartened. We should be glad to hear from you and the rest of our folks, and would be glad to be with you and talk over the past but time has not yet come. Do write soon-direct Salt Lake City, Deseret. My best wishes to you and all May god bless you is the prayer of your son Luke Wm Gallup.

"P.S. Brother J. M. Grant has come along with a company and now we can get our black smithing done and don't care a fig for Uncle Sam's Fort. The leaders of our people are doing a good work. They have instructed Brother Hunter to bring up the rear and help the needy with his loose cattle on to Deseret. Paid 10 cents postage on this letter to carry it as far as the frontier."

12th-We were busy tire setting. Exchanged with Brother Grant's Company some charcoal for ox shoes. P.M. ten wagons of Wm. Snow company passed. Brother Gardiner Snow's Company camped 1 mile below us this eve.

13th-We got Brother Stone a blacksmith (of Gardner's Company) to come to our company and do some work. We assisted to fix his bellows and found him coal and in 6 hours he made $10, and charged one third as much as the Fort men and he stayed there longer as his company had lost an ox-and left us at noon. 33 wagons passed and 16 more among whom was J. Carter. Some are using leather shoes for their cattle. P.M. thunder shower and sharp lightening.

14th (August 1850) Three wagons left our camp ground two of which were Samuel C. Pine's also a company of 7 others said to be Adamson and Farley's. At 10 a.m. Wm. Snow's company of 43 wagons passed followed by Brother Grant's of 20 wagons. Brother Webb of our company was fortunate as he expected to have to winter at Laramie. He found an old cow some days ago and we found today another stay cow and let him have and so he was provided. We started at noon after a 9 days stay at Laramie. Overtook and followed in the rear of Grant's company. Some hard hauling through a piece of sand. Brother Banks boy had run away and so he had to do his own driving and made awkward work for the first time and near camping time drove against a tree which smashed his wagon bows on one side. This irritated him some and so he went on ahead of us and camped with Brother Grant's Company but joined us next day. We camped with Wm. Snow's company 1/4 mile off the river. We traveled 9 miles today--584 total.

15th-David Cook and I had a long walk of 3 miles down the river for our cattle that were moving back for Laramie. Bank's cattle had strayed too and he came back 2 miles to us to find them. At 8 a.m. we started on in Wm. Snow's company. 6 miles farther in the p.m. some light showers hilly road. Some pine on the bluffs and hill sides-grass scarce. We traveled 14 miles today-- 598 total miles.

16th-Eight miles and we came to a creek with a little water, then 4 miles to nooning but no water and short stop. A mile farther we found an excellent spring and stayed an hour there-Then 3 miles and camped by a creek. Some timber and bushes, grass good. Visited one of the red sand and clay hills in this vicinity. We traveled 12 miles today--total 610 miles.

17th-Soon after leaving our encampment while journeying along a large body of Indians visited us and kept our company for a few miles. They seemed friendly, traded a little and begged much. 8 miles to the river where we had a noon spell. A thunder shower in the p.m. detained us half an hour. The rain laid the dust which was bad and the wind blew very hard so we made 5 miles farther and got to the river and camped just before dark-saw some buffalo on the opposite bank. Most of the company met in council in the evening about the best course to pursue and agreed to spend Sunday here. Brother Banks sung the hymn "Hail to the Prophet". We traveled 13 miles today-- total 623.

Sunday 18th August-Cloudy morn and Easterly wind Rained nearly all day and night.

19th-A drizzling rain cold and wind east all day and night-hauled up old dry cottonwood logs and made good fire-grass good here. A few went out buffalo hunting and got in late, with a small quantity of meat on horseback. Our little company belongs in Brothers Nobel's Ten. We have in the company three organized tens with 48 wagons. The other half of the company are ahead. It fell to my lot to be on a watch tour last Saturday night. Brother A. Stodard gave me a list of guardsmen in his ten, as follows-Samuel McClelan, Amos Stodard, W.C. McClelan, Hugh Day, G. W. Cliff, Cyrus Sanford, Wm. Parker, Nathan Cheney, John Fossett, Warren Burgess, Charles Brown, Wm. Walker, Charles Barnum and Ja. McClelan, 14 in all. Guardsmen in Nobel's Ten-Wm. Snow, Lucian Noble. H.H. Cole, Ja. A. Cole, A.. I. Cole, Leonard Wines, Jon Levitt, Henry Woodard, Mr. Winfield, David Webb, Geo Catlin, John Simmons, J. Simmons, Jr., Wm Stephens, Wm. Stephens Jr., Walter Stephens, Albert Stephens, David Cook, Daniel Cook and Luke Wm. Gallup. I have also obtained a list of names in Captain. Wm. Snow's hundred which I copied from his papers.

August 20th-After some consultation the company agreed to stop today and wash and dry their things. In our council here Saturday evening among other things some few men were to go out and hunt buffalo (but not on Sunday). Too many men would scare away the buffalo and it was not safe for the majority to leave camp. So when the hunters returned Monday evening they claimed the meat they got and gave to a few of their particular friends which caused some dissatisfaction. The hunters grumbled because some horse owners were unwilling that their horses should go to ride on and pack meat. Some meat drying by fires today and more was brought in at dusk when a consultation was held about it. Brothers Snow and McClelan talked plain to those out of the way and settled the matter about right. A few men hunting on this side of the river shot a buffalo, they returned to camp and got a team and went to haul it in, but just before reaching it, it rose and ran off, cheating them badly. Some pies were made of Choke Cherry and a small sour berry growing here. A.M. showery-sun shone at intervals.

21st-A dense fog early. At 10 a.m. resumed our journey. The river is on the rise and gained 2 feet since the storm. Our course was away from the river towards Laramie Peak, over a broken and hilly country. Scattering groves of timber down the ravines. Made a short halt at 2 p.m. making 7 miles. One of Brother McClellan's work oxen died and detained us 2 hours. Just as we started on Brother Markham's company of over 30 wagons overtook us. Late in the p.m. it was a beautiful sight to see the wagons rolling up the long gradual slope, Markham's train following ours. On the top of the highest hill we could see before us the bold and rugged mountains, steep hills and deep valleys. Before descending the road forked one being used about as much as the other. We followed the right hand one and descended into the valley and camped by the site of "La Bonte" a large stream. One of Markham's wagons broke an axle tree. Scarcity of grass. We traveled 25 miles today--638 total.

22nd-The cattle rambled off, and so all that could turned out to hunt them and it got late before they were found, except 3 of Brother Stodard's. So we left all the spare men we could to hunt with him and then rolled on being noon before we started. Drove 5 miles and camped by a small creek. Some choke cherries but little grass short of a mile down the creek. Much red sand and clay soil especially on the hill side and some chalk. The two head wagons belonging to Mr. Bigelow had got some distance ahead of us and so kept on and went 2 miles supposing we were coming after them. They turned about and drove back just at dark and while away an accident happened to one of these two wagons taking fire from some cause and getting to some powder and explosion took place and burned two persons badly-they were administered to by Brother Snow and others. Some wild hops about here. We traveled 5 miles today--643 miles total.

23rd-Got ready to move on, when the 5 men came up to us who had stayed behind to hunt cattle, reported all right. We then rolled on to find a better place for our cattle. Met 13 men with 25 mules, supposed to be Californians returning. Rough country and road too. Slowly Laramie Peak is receding from view. Just at dark we camped by A. La Prele Creek. Gardner with the second 50 was here. Some had been out buffalo hunting. Cattle feed rather scarce. We traveled 14 miles today--657 miles total.

August 24th- Gardner's Company started early and we got off late. Warm day and rough road. Some teams hung behind considerable. Camped by the Fourche Fork Boise, and grass scarce. In many places where Clayton's guide book from Laramie to the Valley states good grass there is scarcely any-the cattle of the early companies having eaten it up. Herded our cattle over 2 miles up the creek. Choke cherries in abundance-also the sour "woolberry". Large quantities of pine on the height and distant hills. We traveled 9 miles today--666 miles total.

Sunday 25th-A small company going west passed two wagons and some pack mules, said to be Indian traders. Told us they had shot a couple of buffalo 2 miles back on the road. A few of our men went back and got some of the meat which was divided all around. At noon Markham Company overtook us. Evening meeting to worship God. Brother Snow, Markham and Banks addressed us.

26th-Found an excellent spring of water under the bank of the creek. It was difficult to find our cattle so got a late start-rolled 6 miles and camped on the bank of the river at 1 p.m. and joined Stoddard's Ten that was sent forward yesterday. Markham camped half mile above on the river and the cattle were all drove over to get good feed. Abundance of prickly pear nearly covering the ground in places. A dance late in the evening but did not see it, going to bed early. We traveled 6 miles today--672 total.

27th-Rolled on three miles up the river bottom and crossed Deer Creek where a part of Gardner Snow's company were shoeing their cattle. 3 miles further on and we halted and had our nooning on the Platte banks. P.M. 5 1/3 miles and camped half mile off the river. Light thunder shower-plenty of dry wood and woolberries in abundance. We traveled 12 miles today-- 684 miles total.

28th-Cloudy morn. 1 miles and we came to a creek-very muddy and bad crossing. Nooning place not far from the river. Thunder shower at half past 3 p.m. Much old iron today. At 5 o'clock a stampede occurred which resulted rather bad to some and detained us an hour on the spot and also next day. As we were rolling along with a feeling of security, Brother Noble's colt suddenly started up with fright and ran up to one of the ox teams which also took fright followed by several others rushing ahead at full sped; and a short distance ahead was a deep ditch or runway for water in the wet season of the year from 12 to 15 feet wide and 5 to 8 feet deep, which received them. They had only about 25 rods to run and went at full jump. To start on some oxen and wagon ran over Brother Noble's and a girl was taken from under a wagon down in the ditch-women were badly frightened and to complete the scene of confusion some of the dogs went to fighting.

The oxen in the ditch were soon extricated by cutting bow keys. The colt that caused the fright was killed on the spot, also a cow, and one ox had his hip put out of joint, and the Dutchman who owned it killed it next day to put it out of its misery. Five wagons were more or less injured. Number 1 went in 8 foot deep ditch bottom upwards-bows and projections smashed. Number 2 wagon went in ditch 7 feet deep, side down and slightly damaged. Number 3 wagon in 6 foot ditch went square down with the fore wheels, injured some. Number. 4 wagon went in 5 feet deep ditch, wagon tongue was shoved in opposite bank and broken except the iron bar on it the whole length; was easily rolled out. Number 5 wagon landed fairly in the ditch at the crossing place 5 feet deep and got a broken axletree. The wagon number 1 belonged to Noble, number 2 Wm. Snow, Number 3 the Dutchman who joined the company at Laramie and lost the ox above named, number 4 John Banks, number 5 Sister Wines in Wm. Snow's charge. The girl in the wagon had a narrow escape. It was fortunate that all were stopped but the five runaways and were thankful it was no worse and felt that we had got off better than we expected. Rolled 1 mile farther and camped by the river for the night. Traveled 14 miles today--698 total.

29th-- Spent the day repairing wagons, washing, picking woolberries etc. Turned our cattle over the river. P.M. Carter's Ten seen on Deer Creek passed by us.

August 30-At 11 o'clock a.m. passed by a ten of G. Snow's at the camp place. It was 7 to 8 miles to the Platte Ford which we soon crossed but just before we got there we met a man from the Valley Salt Lake with a span of horses and wagon. Rough and hilly road the p.m. At evening we were divided in 3 companies. The head wagon ascended some steep pitches and drove on to find a better camp place. We were in the 2nd company or division and camped on the ground above the pitches so the hindmost company was not far back. Scarcity of grass and wood. A lofty range of mountains in south east of us, high hills around us and deep below us was the Platte winding its way among them, apparently sneaking and crawling along as if to hide itself from our view. We traveled 14 miles today--712 total.

31st--We rolled on and went by the 1st division who had a good place but had not yet found their cattle. Soon after we left the Platte for the last time and passed over a common sized creek, and found a tolerable level country beyond tho broken by dry gully ravines. Rough road, caused by wagons cutting deep in wet weather and is now dry and hard. Plenty of woolberries in the a.m. and Hannah Cook in trying to put some of the bushes in her father's wagon got run over and badly hurt. At noon 3 of Gardner's wagons passed by and camped just ahead of us. In the p.m. a prairie dog was shot; many of us had never seen one before. County apparently barren with ranges of hills to be seen. Camped 1 mile off the road-grass middling good-plenty of old iron. The ravines contained some saleratus (deposits of sodium or soda) and some of the springs were tinctured with alkali-Had sage brush and buffalo chips for fuel. We rested here next day which was Sunday. Summer's ended. We traveled 14 miles today--726 total.

September 1850

Sunday 1st-Brother Banks preached us a sermon and Brothers Snow and McClellan followed with some good remarks. In the p.m. a squall cloud passed over and gave us a sprinkling followed by a cooler atmosphere. Two of the men went hunting, cold night.

2nd-- rolled on 7 miles and took our nooning at Willow Spring. Plenty of old iron. Road good yet very dusty. P.M. a few long hill side slopes and very gradual in ascent. Woodward's lame cow was left behind. Several ranges of distant hills in sight, yet much obscured by smoky air. At 4 p.m. we passed G. Snow's Company and camped by a creek 2 miles beyond them. We traveled 14 miles today--740 miles total

3rd-More iron here. Here is the outline of a distant range of mountains seen through the smoky air this morning. (Diagram) 7 miles hard uphill through sand this a.m. P.M. went 2 miles and halted at the Salaratus Lake or pond which had 3 to 4 acres surface and was like ice when rotten and broken up. We took in a sack of the article. Rolled 3 miles farther and camped near by Independence Rock and observed many names on it. Gardner's fifty traveled with us today. We crossed Sweet Water and camped. Sage brush for fuel. We traveled 12 miles today-- 762 total.

5th-Loose sandy road and hard pulling. Forded Sweetwater twice in the p.m. and camped at 4 o'clock. No wood grass average. Three footmen from Markham's company overtook and stayed all night with us. We traveled 8 miles today-- 7701/2 miles total. (Diagram)

6th--More bad going through the sand. C.P. (Camp place) at Cotton Wood Spring. We traveled 7 miles today--778 miles total

7th-Rolled 9 miles before nooning after which forded Sweetwater two or three times. We now daily see the bones of cattle that died early in the season, also old iron still abundant. Eleven wagon in Noble's Ten (ours included) got this evening miles ahead of the main company. We traveled 13 miles today--791 total.

Sunday 8th-We rested as usual. Camped mile off the road. Three horsemen from Salt Lake Valley visited us on their way back east and wanted to know our condition and how many were bound for the Valley. Shortly after Noble received a letter by Brother Banks (who came or horseback). Brother Snow's letter gave us to understand that he did not have the best of feelings towards Noble or it was thus construed.. He wanted 3 yolk of cattle out of our ten for the use of the other tens to help the weaker teams to the Valley and then return them providential accidents excepted. Nobles and Stephens were the men to furnish them but they thought it would be sufficient if they provided for their own ten. It was said that a call had been previously made indirectly and those who could spare the cattle did not feel like volunteering after some persons had circulated an evil report. We had traveled slow lately because some people had neglected doing up their morning duties in season and kept other waiting when all ready to move.

Noble's company held a council in the p.m. and concluded to leave the other two tens as the best course to pursue. The men called on had strong teams and other folks were too slow for them and they seemed afraid of having to help others. I was sorry afterwards that I had not joined Wm. Snow's and left them. Firewood 1 miles distant . Two wind squalls in the p.m. and sprinkling

9th-- At 9 a.m. we crossed Sweet Water Ford Number 7 (the 7th ford of Sweet Water passed so far). Drove 10 miles before nooning by some alkali ponds. Rolled on and reached Sweet Water again as the sun was setting. Carter's company camped 1/4 mile ahead of us. Grass scarce and some old iron here. Cold and comfortable night. We traveled 19 miles today--810 total miles.

10th-The horses strayed off and were not found till 10 a.m. Some thought men had come on from Snow's Company and stole them because we had left them behind. Cloudy morning miles and forded Sweetwater. No. 8 (Sweet Water crossing). Then ascended a long high hill and down again-took 2 hours nooning. At 4 p.m. crossed Sweet Water Numbers 9 and 10. Camped at 5 p.m. Grass some better. We traveled 8 miles today-- 818 total miles.

11th-Rolled on 21/2 miles and found a guide board-so we took "Andros" new route leading up some long hills. At 3 p.m. the snowy peaks of the distant Rocky Mountain chain were in full view. Yon lofty peaks immersed in the clear light-blue of heaven-the monuments of time long ago present to us their rocky sides and declare an existence for thousands of ages yet to come.-After which a strong head wind and dusty road. The sun shone dimly through clouds at times-passed over some flint and gravel ridges, with rocky hills around us-some dry pines on them. At 5 p.m. we passed Carter's company on their camp ground, a place destitute of wood.-camped 3/4 mile beyond and had plenty of popple and willow fuel in groves nearby.-We traveled 13 miles today--831 (miles total).

September 12- (1850)-Ice inch thick in our pails. A down hill road 2 1/4 miles. Got on the old road again. 3/4 of a mile farther on we crossed a branch of Sweet Water. After this rather more dry bones than usual-most of which were remains of cattle that had died in the early part of the season. Nooning by Willow Creek. Grasshoppers very thick. P.M. rolled 4 miles crossed the Sweet Water No 11 and found a camp place. Reese' company camped near us, but Carter's went on beyond. We traveled 9 miles of good road-- Total 841 miles.

13th-Today rolled over the South Pass of Divide in the Rocky Mountains. Cloudy till 2 p.m. threatening a snow storm-then clear and warm. Reese's company passed by us at the Twin Mounds-At noon met a team with 13 yoke cattle going to meet Wooley's train-saw more dry bones than any day yet. Camped at half past 4 p.m. Our cattle had a wet miry piece of bottom land to graze on. Drove rather too fast for our weaker teams this day. We traveled 15 miles today--total 856.

14th-Simmons' two wagons with Brother Webb and myself, got some behind today-our teams rather lagged behind and are getting dull and it seems that some of the company care very little about us. Camped by a muddy creek-fine weather yet hard hauling. We traveled 12 miles today--total 868.

Sunday 15th-Early fog and difficult finding cattle-climate more mild and fair prospect of a delightful Autumn. (Drawing) We met 3 Indians going east. Crossed Little Sandy at noon. At 1 p.m. met an ox team, sent to assist Hunter's company. Level road and quite sandy. We traveled 13 miles today--Total 881.

September 16th-A strong west wind and very dusty-hard road on teams. Noon place by the Big Sandy and journeyed along side of it in the p.m. and camped mile away from it. Traveled 13 1/3 miles today-- 894 .total.

17th-It seemed like one vast plain around us-a very extensive view and has been about the same every day since we came over the pass. Mountains can be seen over a hundred miles distant. The first 3 miles today we kept not far off the Sandy-and after 3 miles farther going we turned off the road at an old camp place and took a wrong road and lost 3/4 mile by it. Four men from Brother Snow's Company overtook us on foot for the valley. Road good yet windy and very dusty. Camped by Big Sandy with Father Cook & Webb. Our other 8 wagons stayed 1 1/4 miles ahead of us. We traveled 11 miles today--total 905 .

18th-It was 7 miles to Green River-had a noon spell after crossing. Overtook Carter's Company. Met the Valley Mail at 2 p.m.-dusty and windy-many cattle bones as usual. Brother Webb unfortunately broke his ox yoke. Timber along the river, but scarcity of grass. Our old cow named Pink suddenly died at the Camp Place. We traveled 11 miles today--Total 917.

19th-Brother Stevens let me have a cow to fill the place of our lost one. At 9 a.m. we started on. At noon Brother Webb's old cow gave out and was left in dying state-no water for 133 miles, on Black Fork. We traveled 13 miles today--total 930.

20th-Brother Webb and I was of the opinion that Brothers Noble and Stevens ought to help us in the team line for taking our turns in guarding their horses in the night time, to prevent their being stolen. Our cattle are not guarded and we would not give a fig to have our wagons watched. Windy-5 miles to our nooning on Ham's Fork. P.M. heavy wind and very dusty. Crossed Black's Break. We have not yet lost sight of the Rocky Mountain Peaks. We traveled 10 miles today--total 940 miles.

21st-A warm day, yet windy and dusty p.m. We saw some curious bluffs today resembling ancient castles and fortifications. Crossed Black's Fork twice and at evening camped within 8 feet of it. Plenty of small black thorn apples along its banks. We traveled 13 miles today--total 954.

22nd-We let our teams rest till 4 p.m. Journeyed 3/4 mile and crossed a large creek emptying into Black's Fork-met a team of 7 yoke going to meet Haywood and Wooley.-Comfortable C.P. (camp place) on a clear spot nearly surrounded by willows. -A cloudy morn and light rain in the P.M. -Traveled 4 miles today--total 958.

23rd-Good road to Ft. Bridger yet some stony places crossed 2 streams-one before we got there and the other soon after passing the Fort. The first one has a very swift current. Simmons sold an ox that had near given out for little or nothing. Plenty of willows about the Fort and lots of scrub cedars on the bluff sides. Met 3 horsemen from the Valley on business relating to the Indians-also a horse team going back. 1 miles past the Fort, we commenced the ascent of a long hill and from the top of the ridge at 5 p.m. we saw the Rocky Mountain ridge or range once more. A squall cloud passed over leaving a beautiful rainbow. Pleasant camp place by a small creek-sage brush fuel. Traveled 15 1.2 miles today--973 total.

24th-There was a terrible howling among the wolves last night,-Plenty of bones about, where they have probably feasted. A fine morn but the wind soon rose followed by dust. 1 miles and then descended a very long hill-stony and bad going-crossed a creek in the valley below-then went over a high ridge, into another valley where we had our nooning. P.M. saw a steer that Carter's Company had left behind. We next had a hill 2 miles of long gradual ascent to go up-then a ridge road -deep ravines on both sides. Had a light shower of rain and hail. Camped on the ridge and found the nearest water half a mile north of the road in a deep ravine. It was a Sulphur Spring. Carter's camp was 3/4 mile ahead. We traveled 13 1/4 miles today--986 3/4 miles.

25th-3/4mile brought us to Quaking Aspen Mountain and soon after we descended a steep slope 3/4 mile long. Passed by Carter's Company. Saw some of them making beef of a cow that the wolves and bitten badly last night. Here was a beautiful valley one mile long surrounded by high hills-above and beyond which were the tops of mountains which seemed as if peeping over these hills to look down us in this warm valley. We passed through two more such opening or valleys by a short turn or sort of narrows connecting them with each other, with not quite as pleasant an appearance. After which over a hill into another valley. Noon place by a creek and spring. Some good land by us. Next 2 miles was rough road-crossed Bear River, and then ascended a hill,-thence part way down a valley leading into Yellow Creek. Pleasant camp place. To look upon, yet the wolves howled much in the night, making, a not very agreeable sound. Traveled 12 1/4 miles today-total 999 miles.

26th-Heavy Frost-Drove 5 miles and passed rough Rock Point. We then crossed Yellow Creek-thence over along hill to noon place-thence down a ravine and passed Catches or Cache Cave and camped a little way beyond it. Found plenty of dry cedar by ascending the bluff . Traveled 14 miles today--total 1013 miles.

27th-Our road was down Echo Canyon-high bluffs on both sides. Some good springs along this valley or canyon, and some very fine and beautiful specimens of natural architecture on the north side. Crossed Echo Creek many times, and were often detained at the steep fording places. Carter's company camped near us. There horsemen from the valley slept in Simeon's tent. Dry Quaking Aspen firewood off the south bluff side. We traveled 14 miles today--1027 miles in total.

28th-Carter's Company was left behind as their cattle strayed off. A cold frosty morning, yet a fine day.-About 5 miles and we came into Weber Valley,-then down it some 4 miles and crossed over, and then about 3 miles up a small canyon leaving some willows and brush by a small creek. Camp place surrounded by high mountain scenery. Here we found an notice left by G. Snow's train or company. It stated they had left here today noon and also it read-"We had a sort of stampede and our cattle driven 8 miles by the wolves-one ox and one cow were killed." We traveled 11 miles today-- 1038 miles total.

Sunday-September 29th. We ascended up the canyon to the top of a ridge and then down a bad road into Canyon Creek and 3 miles up stream we found a camping place. Noble and Catlin got over a mile ahead of the others in our company. Carter's Company were also separated-some both sides of us. Wood and water plentiful. Grass average and mostly on the mountain side. We traveled 10 miles today--total 1048 miles

30th-Our Company got together again about noon. It was tough hauling for the cattle up the canyon and still worse up the mountain through a little side canyon. Saw much balsam or fir as we ascended-had to double teams near the top and on which we had our first view of Salt Lake Valley. It waked up our feelings of the promised land. On descending, the dust was very bad, so we could scarcely see only as it cleared one side of the other by spells. Plenty of wood and water but a scarcity of grass at our camp place. Mr. Rogers and brother from the City of Salt Lake was out here for logs and camped with us, and kept our company next day. We traveled 10 miles today-- total 1059 miles.

Tuesday October 1st-We had to double teams up the mountain, called the Last Mountain, where we met Brother Hyde and company going east. Here was our first view of Salt Lake. On entering the canyon below we passed some wagons. One was upset, another had a broken axletree and others broken more or less. It was said their destination was Ft. Bridger. Our road was rough and dusty. We traveled 10 miles to camp place--Total 1069 miles.

2nd-One mile brought us to the mouth of the canyon and 5 more into the city of Great Salt Lake, where we arrived at noon 6 miles--Total 1075 miles. We were 107 days on the journey. We laid by near 26 days of the time leaving 81 days traveling time. Were very near out of provisions, when we got in the city; and some got entirely out, before they arrived, and purchased of others. I paid Mr. Noble some store pay for the use of his cow, which was worked from Green River to this city. He ought not to have charged me a cent. On Green River September 28th we commenced on a bread and water diet; yet made coffee of bread crusts, morning and evening with only milk enough to color it. Some days after, had a few messes of rice and sugar, with a change of corn mush and sugar for dinner.-The last week of our journey we had nothing but corn bread, except a little flour on the last days journey, we borrowed of Mr. Stevens.

One thing more I do not wish to forget-a favorite hymn of mine commencing with the words-"Praise to the Man who communed with Jehovah". It was often sung on the road to this valley by Brothers Banks and Webb. P.M. we went out to Jordan bridge and camped. Brother James C. Sly visited us.

Monday, October 7th. Worked a day mowing for a man whose field was over Jordan. Father Cook went on a tour up north with Brother Dame.

Winter in Tooele

October 11th 1850-We went to the canyon for wood. Father Cook and his son David each selected a building lot in this small but pleasant settlement.

4th-Father Cook visited the Cedars 5 miles west and stayed away 5 days.

Sunday. October 27, 1850h-Father and Mother Cook with two of their children, Hannah and Isaac were rebaptized. I am not sure of the children having been baptized before.

19th-Evening, Father Cook had a shanty and some things burn up down at the Cedars.

November 27, 1850-Father Cook's folks moved down to the Cedars. Rain carried off the snow on the 29th. Father Cook finished a log house in the Cedars.

7th-Father Cook started with over 60 bushels charcoal for Salt Lake City.

9th-Warmer, commenced an evening school to teach David, James, Isaac, Catharine and Hanna Cook.

10th-Hired David to haul some ice, as we are all under the necessity of using it.

Sunday 15-Flour had got very scarce among the folks in the Cedars and so we ground some wheat in our coffee mill. It made excellent flour. At 8 o'clock in the evening Father Cook returned from Salt Lake City and brought some flour which cost $10 per hundred lbs.

23rd-Father Cook started with his 2nd load of coal to Great Salt Lake City land was gone 7 days.

December 25, 1850 We took our Christmas supper at Mother Cook's.

28th-Warmer ,30th David, James and I spent an evening in Mr. Silas Pratt's Cabin, card playing took up most of our time.

January 1, 1851-Cloudy north west in the Cedars spent the evening at Father Cook's.

6th --The Wilson's of Great Salt Lake City came for coal and Father Cook had just finished hauling out a pit of over 400 Bushels

14th-- I started for Great Salt Lake City with Father Cook who was hauling a load of coal there.. Wet and bad walking stayed all night in the Cave (Point of the Mountain). Willis McBride and another man and wife stayed there too

7th-Arose at 2 a.m. and started for home by moonlight on foot leaving father to follow by daylight.

25th-- Along with David and James I attended a company muster in Tooele. 30 men present besides Captain P. Maun.

27th-- Father Cook and I worked on the water section and got the water within a mile of our places.

30th-Father Cook and David started with two loads of coal for Great Salt Lake City. My cattle assisted.

17th-Up to this time I have cut and sold Father Cook 24 cords of wood.

25th-Flour got scarce again and Father Cook and Herbert went to Tooele 5 miles off and packed some home on their backs. David went again to the herd ground for our cattle.

27th-Father Cook set fire to a large coal pit.

1st March 1851-Father Cook started to Salt Lake City with another load of coal.

11th-Father Cook sold his cabin to Mr. Baker and has two weeks longer to stay in it.

April 2, 1851-Father found an empty log house and by permission moved in and concluded to settle down here (Provo area).

3rd-David and I went and got a load of wood up on the north side of Provo River

10th-With Father Cook took a tour up the creek thence along the base of the south east mountains to Spanish Fork River-thence 3 miles down the stream to Dr. D. Webb's and got dinner then home again.

July 12, 13, 1951-We were at Father Cook's in Provo on a visit.

August 23, 1851-at ll:00 o'clock p.m. our little daughter Mary Melinda was born.

August 24, 1851-Mother Cook came over and stayed several days.

August 31, 1851-Mother Cook returned home.

November 9, 1851-We were at Father Cook's in Provo visiting.

November 21, 1851-We were in Provo at Father Cook's visiting and they got up a dance and a brother named Eames played the fiddle.

December 2, 1951-Attended another dance at Father Cooks's in Provo on the 6th.

January 10th, 1852-Was at Father Cook's Provo and attended an evening spelling school there.

February 18, 1852-Attended a dance at Father Cook's.

March 20, 1852-Father Cook's children were with us and so we called in a few others and had a dance.

June 19, 1852-Hauled 36 bushels of charcoal to Provo and sold it to D. Carter. Stayed with Father Cook's folks the next day.

July 27, 1852-Let Father Cook have 100 bushels charcoal to haul to Great Salt Lake City.

September 11 and 12 1852-Was in Provo at Father Cook's and the Flour Mill for a grist.

October 1, 1852-Called at Father Cook's in Provo-David Adams and family were there.

October 5, 1852-We started home before daylight the 11th and reached Father Cook's in Provo at sunset where we stayed the night and went home next day.

April 27, 1853-Got a late start and drove to Nephi and stayed at Father Cook's.

July 1, 1853-Father Cook and David and T. Gustin called to see us on their way to Provo.

July 6, 1853--Father Cook and the boys returned from Provo and passes a night with us being on their way home to Nephi

July 14, 1853-Quarried out a rock for a large grindstone in Salt Creek Canyon with Father Cook's assistance.

June 8, 1854-Received a visit from our folks in Nephi. Father and Mother Cook Isaac, David and his wife.

September 12, 1856-Father Cook passed a night with us on his way to Salt Lake City.

January 2, 1861-Father and Mother Cook with Amos Gustin and wife left us this morning after a visit of 36 hours, they came in a sleigh.

December 16, 1861-Father and Mother Cook with Isaac, their son, stopped over night on their way to Salt Lake City to get their Endowments.

July 13, 1865-Rainy, Father Cook and his son James and wife called to see us on their return from Cache County visiting David and Isaac.

January 7, 8, 9, 1967-Visited Father Cook and wife who live with Isaac and his wife. . .also James and David Cook.

February 6, 1874-Father Daniel Cook died in Salina, Sevier Co., Utah. He had been blind for several years past and lived with his son Isaac. The news to us came in a letter from James Cook of Levan dated the 28th Feb. and received March 1st 1874.


Copyright 1996 - 2019 Shirl R Weight Saturday, 23 February 2019 10:05:15 PM