Elizabeth England (Ball)

Spouse: William Mitchell Ball

  • Born 24 Jan 1837 in Skelton, Yorkshire, England
  • Baptized 20 Aug 1860
  • Married About 1870
  • Sealed 14 Jun1923
  • Died 24 Feb1871 Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Arrived in the Salt Lake Valley 7 Aug 1870

Elizabeth England started with her 5 children leaving Liverpool on the steam ship Manhattan. They came all the way from Liverpool to New York to Salt Lake City by steam, first on steam ship and then on steam locomotive. The first company that came all the way by steam. They landed in Salt Lake City on August 5, 1870. There were over 400 in the company.

Alfred Ball father's name was William Mitchell Ball, his mother Elizabeth England. She was the mother of five children two girls, three boys, Hannah, Matilda, Alfred, Arthur, and Heber.

Elizabeth England joined the Latter-day Saint Church when Alfred Ball was seven years old. She was planning to come to Zion with the little savings she could save and help from the Emigration Fund. They prepared to leave England. Alfred Ball's father not yet had joined the church. At that time a very remarkable healing took place. There belongings had been sent on ahead and while at her mothers she was taken very dangerously sick and given up by the Dr. to die. They sent for some Elders to come and administer to her. She had one desire to live and take her children to Zion. The Elders administered to her, and it as an almost instant healing. In three days she was able to go on farther. Her gentile neighbors said she had had shoe oil rubbed on her head.

She started with her five children, leaving Liverpool on the Steamship Manhattan, came all the way from Liverpool to New York and from New York to Salt Lake City by steam. The first company that came all the way by steam landed in Salt Lake City on Aug 5, 1870. There were over four hundred in the company. Among them were returned missionaries and the late Karl G. Maeser.

Elizabeth England lived until 24 Feb 1871 when she died and left her five children in the care of the Saints, anywhere they might find a home and work.

author unknown to SRWeight

History of Elizabeth England Ball

Written by Elva Tall Kinghorn

Elizabeth England Ball, daughter of Mary England and father unknown (William Scott was her step-father) was born at Skelton, Yorkshire, England on 24 January 1837. She was a pretty child and grew to be a beautiful blue-eyed, black haired young girl and woman. She had a sweet, kindly disposition and was ever eager to be doing something useful. From her mother she learned the fine art of needlework and she loved to make pretty and useful articles as well as dresses and clothing.

The story is told that one day she took lunch to the men relatives who were working in the field. Dry grass and weeds were being burned and in some manner she drew too near the fire and her clothing caught on fire. Help rushed to her, but she suffered burns and some lasting scars on her face. That reason was given for no one having a picture of her.

She grew to womanhood, fell in love with William Mitchell Ball, and was married to him on 1 April 1855 by Nector Norton. To this union five children were born--Hannah, Alfred, Arthur, Richard, Matilda, and Heber Orson.

One day she dressed Arthur Richard in his suit and with special care sent him to have his picture taken. His younger sister, Matilda, ran away and went with him so Arthur Richard had her stand by his side and have her picture taken with him although her Pantaloons were showing beneath her dress. This picture belongs to members of the family, a copy having been taken from the original. Though it brought smiles to the Mother, still she was embarrassed because "Tillie", as she was lovingly called, was not dressed in a fashion to have her picture taken.

Elizabeth England Ball lived very near her Mother who assisted her in the care of her children for she, herself, was frail.

One day she heard the LDS missionaries preaching the Gospel. She listened and believed and went again and again to hear more. Finally she knew the teaching were true and then summoned courage to tell her mother she had been attending some Missionary meetings and that she believed what they taught. She urged her mother to go with her to these cottage meetings, and soon her Mother acknowledged that she felt that they were true teachings. In a short time Elisabeth was baptized by the L.D.S. missionaries. The record is that Thomas Memmott baptized her at Sheffield, England 12 August 1860.

Then it become her heart’s desire to come to Zion in Salt Lake City. She was a woman of sterling qualities, honest, faithful mentally awake, and spiritually alert. One of God’s noble women. She loved her children dearly and was ambitious that they have opportunities which would improve their way of life and that they might live righteously. She doubled her efforts. Her Husband, Mother, and Step-Father assisted her; she and her mother worked making and sewing quilts and handiwork, the men contributing also to the saving fund.

An opportunity came for her oldest daughter, Hannah, to sail to America with a company of immigrants. Bravely they said good-bye to her telling her they’d come soon.

More pennies were saved and finally the desired day came when Elizabeth and her four children Alfred, Arthur Richard, Matilda, and Heber Orson bade farewell to their loved ones.

Their trunks had gone on, and they were at Elizabeth’s mother’s home, when Elizabeth took seriously ill. The doctor had given her up to die, but her mother sent for two L.D.S. Elders. They came and administered to her. In three days she was up and although weak started on her journey to Zion. Friends and relatives there knew that a very remarkable healing had taken place.

Her loved ones knew the desire of her heart, and they knew, for the doctor had told them, that she couldn’t live long--she was suffering with cancer. It was a sad parting but also there was rejoicing to know she and her children would soon be in Zion. They who remained knew the time, effort, and struggle to save money so they could follow.

Elizabeth and these four children left Liverpool, England 14 July 1870 on the steamship Manhattan in the company of about 400 Saints, including a large number of returning missionaries, with the late Karl G. Maesser in charge of the company. They arrived in Salt Lake City on 5 August 1870.

On the sea the mother Elizabeth was very ill and confined much of the time to her bed in the cabin. She would send her oldest son, Alfred, to get her a cup of tea. This son nobly assisted his mother and helped care for his brothers and sister. Kind friends also assisted. It was a day of happiness when the arrived and greeted the daughter Hannah.

Elizabeth waned in strength and life seemed to be slowly ebbing away. Her husband had not joined the Church and was yet in England.

Brave one, her efforts had not been in vain. She had accomplished her goal to bring her children to Zion. Her Heavenly Father tenderly called her home on 24 Feb. 1871.

She was buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

With tear-filled eyes and hearts full of love we treasure her memory.

In the words of the poet she was, "A mother with dignity supreme; a sculptress of the race. The architect of humanity. Her part was difficult but she did not flinch. Her inner strength of will and determination was as an oak, but tender and sweet and pure as the flower that blooms. She was woman, mother and molder of the race." And with it all was a true Latter-Day-Saint.

She was sealed to her husband, William Mitchell Ball, by her two children, Alfred Ball and Matilda Ball Tall, acting as proxies on 14 June 1923.

Copyright Shirl R. Weight 12/21/08 09:56:55 PM

Copyright 1996 - 2019 Shirl R Weight Saturday, 23 February 2019 10:05:15 PM