Map and travel time from
This trip was taken Aug 4th, 2000
Image Sets Index
- We called 1-888-286-2737 and made reservations
- We left the cabin (205 High Rd, Cuchara, CO) at 6:38 am and arrived at
Antonito at 8:30 am
- We were asked to arrive by 8:45 am
- We checked on the tickets and charged them to Am Ex.
- We shopped until 9:00 am
- We met the bus at about 9:05 am in front of the store
- We traveled to Chama, NM
- We arrived about 10 minutes before the train left
- Keep thinking that spending more time in Chama
is a great
- Should go to Chama and visit for a few hours.
- Some train cars have restrooms
- A snack car is located near the platform car
- A platform car is located in the rear of the train
- We bought lunch tickets (Mexican food meal) on board the train
- The train has two engines at the start of the trip
- It passes the water tank seen in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
- Stops at a bridge for the first engine to cross, then the second engine
pulls the train a crossed
- Stops at Cumbres Pass and switches to one
- Stops at Osier for lunch
- We reached the lunch stop about 1:08 pm
- The Lunch stop building has drinking water and restrooms and is very
- Lunch is cafeteria style with more tables downstairs
- We left at 1:55 pm for Antonito
- Stopped at Sublette (sometimes the train takes on water here)
- The platform car on this part of the trip is right behind the engine
- Needed to drink more water having ridden the platform car most
of the day.
- Was nearly sick from the lack of water and maybe the stress
of standing for 5 hours
- Sitting and drinking helped in a big way.
- Arrived at Antonito, CO at 4:49 pm
- Stopped in
Alamosa, CO at a fast food place for dinner
- Arrived back at the cabin about 6:45 pm